Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry Mcguigan on tonights Kahn fight

This is world class risk for learner Khan

Barry Mcguigan 02/02/2008

This is a tough fight for Amir Khan - and a big risk. I commend him and his team for taking it.

If I were managing him, I'm not sure I would have made the same move.

I was 26 fights in before my first bout against a former world champion, Juan Laporte, a lot more mature and developed as a fighter.

Gairy St Clair does not have tremendous power but don't think for one minute that he can't punch.

Khan learned against Willie Limond that if you make a mistake you get punished.

St Clair is a more capable fighter than Limond and has fought in a higher class, albeit mostly at super-featherweight of late.

I would be amazed if Khan gets St Clair out of the ring early. He is slick and has never been put down or stopped. Diego Corrales bounced shots of his chin and couldn't move him.

Neither could Vivian Harris. St Clair was equally comfortable against Leonard Dorin, another world champion and fully fledged lightweight.

I would not read too much into recent defeats, two in his last three fights, or his age, 33 today. He held a world title at super featherweight in 2006. St Clair is seriously dangerous.

If Khan goes out there trying to bomb him out early, he could easily get nailed himself.

This is Khan's 16th fight. He has gone ten rounds only once. He has not had the experience of going ten hard, fast rounds against a world class opponent. Khan could encounter real problems if he starts to tire in the last quarter of the fight.

I advocated a bout against the British champion Jonathan Thaxton. That would have been a stiff test. This is a much bigger test, a challenge and a half.

Just look at St Clair's record. After four fights in his native Guyana he was up in New York learning the hard way, taking on all-comers.

He lost to Corrales in an IBF super-featherweight eliminator, then a year later took on Harris at a pound below the 140lb light-welterweight limit.

His next four fights were all a pound either side of the 135lb lightweight limit, including the loss to Dorin.

He then went out to Australia, where he helped the great Kostya Tszyu prepare for a number of world title defences, and went five years and 21 fights unbeaten himself.

Khan must be circumspect. He has to show control and patience, use his fast jab and pick St Clair off. As St Clair begins to tire in the later rounds then Khan can open up.

If Khan impresses against a fast hitter like St Clair, maybe even wobbles him, has him over, then you would have to claim it as a world-class performance.

I don't think that is going to happen. I believe this guy will be in the bout. He might even leave us with our hearts in our mouths.

Tonight is not about winning, it is about how he wins.

We will learn a lot more about Amir tonight, believe me.

from today's 'Daily Mirror'

**** you Barry! St Clair is 5'4 and a feather fisted, over the hill super feather.

Comment

I got a tenner at 2:1 Khan wins by Points.

Barry is on ITV sports ****. Khan wins, because thats what Warren wants. He only will pick an opponant he can win....not just this, St Clair is good for one thing only - durability. which is why a stingey twat like me has put a tenner on him to go 12 rounds.

Comment

I agree with McGuigan. St Claire is a world class fighter who held the SFW belt in 2006.

He is in a different league to Thaxton. This will be a chess match and there is a real possibility that Khan may lose if his ego gets the better of him.

Comment

Played out as I expected. Khans reach and speed just to much for the little fella. When he did manage to land on Khan he just lacked the power to do anything. Warren knows how to pick em'!

Comment

your not wrong, but i knew that he wouldnt put st clair away. He is getting into the tougher more durable guys now and i will love it when katsidis walks through him back peddling and takes his head clean off.

but back to tonight. He was always going to be to long and fast for the light punching sfw that is st clair. St clair doesnt like being countered and it has been a problem for him all career.

Will be interesting to see where they send khan now, i just hope its to katsidis.

Comment

I would love to see Katsidis tear him a new arsehole. Warren wouldn't dare put him in with him though.....

Comment

I normally really repect mcguigans opinions. but not when it comes to amir khan. he is clearly on the payroll of frank warren.

Comment

Working...
                X