No announcement yet.

BOXIANA By PIERCE EGAN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOXIANA By PIERCE EGAN

PIERCE EGAN and his Book : Is EGAN Really the 1st true sport historian ??
    Here is a link for a preview of the book, I hope to get some replies, so please do.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=MTy...sec=frontcover

My god, anybody read the bit about RICHARD III, is this King the first ever English boxer, Egan writes, "That he was uncommonly expert, either on foot, or on horseback in displaying a variety of Manly feats-- such as drawing the bow, raising the sling, or throwing the javelin, but particularly distinguished with a clenched fist, when opposed to an antagonist, by the extreme potency of his arm". ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Shakespeare's take on Richard of Gloucester is WAAAAAY off the mark, this guy was a killing machine on the battlefield,... and he was barely a Featherweight..... And one of the first boxers... maybe.....

Comment

Seriously, this is a good read and one of the most famous boxing books...... where is everybody ????

Comment

Yeah, I have this but haven't read it yet so I couldn't really comment.

Comment

One of the first boxing books I read, a very good read!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            One of the first boxing books I read, a very good read!
            It sure is,,, the first sport history book..... It's boxing's Illiad.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
              It sure is,,, the first sport history book..... It's boxing's Illiad.
              Its partially responsible for getting me into the sport many moons ago. My school library had an old, dusty, battered copy that looked centuries old (probably was! I should have nicked it!!!). The book itself had a real atmosphere and made me think of these early pioneers as serious historical figures.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                My god, anybody read the bit about RICHARD III, is this King the first ever English boxer, Egan writes, "That he was uncommonly expert, either on foot, or on horseback in displaying a variety of Manly feats-- such as drawing the bow, raising the sling, or throwing the javelin, but particularly distinguished with a clenched fist, when opposed to an antagonist, by the extreme potency of his arm". ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Shakespeare's take on Richard of Gloucester is WAAAAAY off the mark, this guy was a killing machine on the battlefield,... and he was barely a Featherweight..... And one of the first boxers... maybe.....
                nah, boxing has been around since rome and ****.

theres one scene in the odessy where uslesses gets in a fight with some dude and throws a right counter knocking the dude out.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                  nah, boxing has been around since rome and ****.

theres one scene in the odessy where uslesses gets in a fight with some dude and throws a right counter knocking the dude out.
                  I know, I've read the Illiad, love it. I was talking ENGLISH boxing only as I am all too aware of Rome and Greece, and I didn't know that about Richard III and he's one king I have read a lot on....... Boxiana also mentions that Aelfred The Great trained his soldiers with boxing much the same way as the Legions did. I am always impressed when someone knows Homer, ................. keep up the good posts

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Its partially responsible for getting me into the sport many moons ago. My school library had an old, dusty, battered copy that looked centuries old (probably was! I should have nicked it!!!). The book itself had a real atmosphere and made me think of these early pioneers as serious historical figures.
                    You shoulda nicked it, probably worth a quid too by now. Yes it's a good read but I was a bit worried that many would find the older lingo hard to understand, being nuts about history I don't have that problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X