No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Team Dirrell: Not Enough Time Before Stevenson Bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Team Dirrell: Not Enough Time Before Stevenson Bout

The reason Andre Dirrell turned down a bout with Adonis Stevenson — a bout that will land the winner a shot at a super middleweight world title — was because there wasn’t enough time to get ready for the fight.

[Click Here To Read More]

Taking a fight with less than a month's notice is not reasonable for such high stakes. No wonder so many have passed on this.

Comment

What? There's more than 1 month til August 11.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
        What? There's more than 1 month til August 11.
        No there isn't. Technically there's a month and about 2 days to get ready. Basically, if you're just estimating/rounding, there's only one month. That is to get down to 168, and train for the style of Stevenson, finding sparring partners etc.

1 Month is realistically not enough. This is a better reason than what I thought was the problem, which is monetary issues. Team Dirrell is right, one month is not enough to get down in to shape and train for a fight. Fighters take 8 weeks to train, he only has 4 weeks basically.

Comment

i agree, it wasnt enough time, thats why i was surprised he took it, but like i said before, at the elite level, no1 takes a fight on such short notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Punch View Post
            Taking a fight with less than a month's notice is not reasonable for such high stakes. No wonder so many have passed on this.
            When I saw the list of fighters who "turned down" Stevenson, and saw Sakio Bika's name on there. Right away, I questioned what was the reason that all of those fighters would turn down Stevenson. Bika wouldn't turn any one down. While every one else was just bashing Dirrell, because that's all they do when they get the chance. Nobody wanted to look in to why Bika, Kessler, Dirrell, Pavlik, etc turned down Stevenson. They want to make it out to be something it's not.

Comment

That is a legit reason to turn the fight down.

Comment

So last week it is ok and this week it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                  So last week it is ok and this week it is not.

I'm not sure Dirrell knew about the date last week. He just said "if the terms are right and everything goes smoothly, then I hope this fight is made".

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    I'm not sure Dirrell knew about the date last week. He just said "if the terms are right and everything goes smoothly, then I hope this fight is made".
                    You think they told him about fighting in Canada but didn't tell him when???

Comment

Working...
                    X