Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was d last time neighbourhoods went outside & cheered 4 their fighter in the US?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was d last time neighbourhoods went outside & cheered 4 their fighter in the US?

Like how Harlem came out in support of Joe Louis, celebrating on the streets. I know it happens with Pacquiao when the Philippines practically shuts down when he fights, but i'd like to know when it last happened with an American.

Also, when do you guys think it'll happen next? What circumstances could cause it to happen?

People were rioting in the streets after Klitschko-Povetkin. Don't think they were celebrating.

Comment

Boxing no longer elicits that type of passion among Americans. It's really sort of a niche sport today. Plus, there's really nothing left to conquer in boxing for the U.S. as a collective. We've seen and done it all. There's pretty much no territory left unchartered. But these type of celebrations are common place among fans of the NFL, NBA, MLB even the NHL as well as collegiate sports.

Although i DO believe that if Mayweather had gotten brutally KO'd by Alvarez, a fairly large number Mexican-Americans probably would've been in the streets going apeshit.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        People were rioting in the streets after Klitschko-Povetkin. Don't think they were celebrating.

Comment

PPV killed all that. You dont have to pay to watch NBA or NFL on TV so more fans get involved and are more connected.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by $Natedatpkid$ View Post
            PPV killed all that. You dont have to pay to watch NBA or NFL on TV so more fans get involved and are more connected.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            You could even go so far as to say TV killed all that.

I listened to a few fights on the radio myself back in the 70's & 80's and enjoyed a lot of them more than fights I watch on live tv in HD today.

It would be fun to be sat outside a brownstone in Brooklyn or somewhere on a hot summer night listening with your fellow Italian/Jewish/Black/Puerto Rican/Polish/Irish/etc neighbours while a kid from down the street fights "da Champ'.

Comment

Working...
            X