Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question: why is golf a sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a sport is a competitive game that uses energy, no?

check and check

Comment

Originally posted by INJECT View Post
      not a sport.

Neither is poker, ping pong, horseshoes, bowling, or baseball.
      i dont watch or like baseball but how can u say baseball isnt a sport?

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post

check and check
        What kind of energy are you talking about?

You also consider Nascar a sport?

Comment

Originally posted by dj ♥ View Post
          i dont watch or like baseball but how can u say baseball isnt a sport?
          If you can eat while you "play" it.... its not a sport.

Comment

sport   [spawrt, spohrt]
            –noun
            an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

It is an athletic activity and requires skill and physical prowess. If you don't believe me go and play a round and see how you do.

Comment

a quick web search gave me this brief definition...

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Comment

Read full article here http://www.popsci.com/entertainment-...-01/golf-sport

It's an age-old question debated in pro shops and pubs across America: is golf a sport? Neil Wolkodoff, director of the Rose Center for Health and Sports Sciences in Denver, thinks it is, and he has some data to back up his claim. Wokodoff took eight better-than-average golfers and tracked their heart rate, oxygen consumption, carbon dioxide production, and how far they were walking through a few rounds.

"The study shows there's significant energy expenditure in golf, more than bowling and some other sports it's been compared to," Wolkodoff said to the AP. "There are a lot of sports that don't have this level of energy expenditure."

Subjects walking and carrying their clubs burned 721 calories per round, while the lazy folks in the carts burned just 411. Surprisingly, there was no difference in carrying clubs versus using a push cart, so save your back and rent the cart. The data also suggested that players went past their anaerobic thresholds after walking through two uphill holes (feeling the burn).

I'm not a fan of Golf, but people like to claim something is not a sport and just make their answer final, without backing it up in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  What kind of energy are you talking about?

You also consider Nascar a sport?
                  you must have never played a round of golf without a golf cart.

swinging clubs for 3 or 4 hours isnt like sitting on the couch clicking buttons

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post

check and check
                    Just because you exert some energy while playing, doesn't not make it a sport. You can still play golf when your 80 for godness sake...

In closing, its not a sport.....

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      sport   [spawrt, spohrt]
                      –noun
                      an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

It is an athletic activity and requires skill and physical prowess. If you don't believe me go and play a round and see how you do.

You can play it drunk and stoned. Some sport.

Sport.

Comment

Working...
                      X