Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did filipinos disown brian viloria to claim donaire???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
    Everytime I heard this I was like wtf??? How is donaire more filipino than viloria? Because he was born there?? Viloria qualified for the u.s. olympic team by beating donaire. Has actually spent more total hours living in the philippines and has had more fights there than donaire.
    You're right, they're both Yanks.

Comment

They haven't got many sports stars to cheer about so they'll jump on any success they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        They haven't got many sports stars to cheer about so they'll jump on any success they can get.
        Thats to be expected. Filipinos are back on the viloria bandwagon now that he was able to unify. But he still has never regained the level of celebrity he once had before he lost to omar nino. That to me is the big mystery.

Comment

Proof that they disowned him.... I heard them proclaiming Gesta the third best Filipino fighter behind Donaire and Pacquiao

Comment

Is it because he's American born?

They might not like his nickname either.

I dunno, I'm drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
              An ongoing issue i've had with filipino sports media is that not too long ago brian viloria was the 2nd biggest filipino star next to manny pacquiao.

But ever since viloria's tainted losses against omar nino and donaire's spectacular ko of darchinyan...nonito donaire has become the new media darling and viloria has never regained his celebrity status despite recapturing a world title. I've asked several members of filipino media the reason for this and the most common response was along the lines of donaire embraces his filipino heritage therefore making more compelling storylines while viloria is more american as evidenced by his competing for the u.s. olympic team as opposed to the philippines.

Everytime I heard this I was like wtf??? How is donaire more filipino than viloria? Because he was born there?? Viloria qualified for the u.s. olympic team by beating donaire. Has actually spent more total hours living in the philippines and has had more fights there than donaire.

Way to jump on a bandwagon and simultaneously be willfully ignorant of members of your own community philippines
              Filipinos claimed Donaire? that's news to me, because didnt they slam him for his feud with his father?

Also how come Nonito can never sell out a small stadium? He fought in Carson with a lot of filipinos in that area but sold 800 tickets that doesn't sound like they embraced him.

Viloria is not really Filipino the guy claimed he was Hawaiian during the Olympics and never mentioned his Filipino side, that is why I was shocked that guy was Filipino, I used to call him the smallest Hawaiian I ever seen lol, his nickname is the Hawaiian Punch and Viloria only recently started claiming filipino when Pacquiao blew up in 2004 and was getting famous selling out the mgm grand as a featherweight.

So why would they claim Viloria when the guy was ashamed to be Filipino and was claiming to be Hawaiian? It's like a white looking Mexican never embracing his roots until he sees its profitable and reveals he has Mexican blood and starts acting proud of his roots.

Comment

"Rey Danseco of boxingscene.com said that Viloria declared that he is a 100% Filipino and his parents Ben and Rosemarie came from Narvacan, Ilocos Sur but migrated to Hawaii for a living. He became the 35th Filipino world champion when he won the WBC world light-flyweight title dethroning Eric Ortiz of Mexico by a remarkable first round knockout.

Viloria, who was born in Waipahu, Honolulu, Hawaii, said he would have competed for the Philippines in the 2000 Sydney Olympics had the invitation from the Amateur Boxing Association of the Philippines (ABAP) arrived earlier ahead of the US Olympic Trials where he defeated fellow Filipino-American Donaire in the quarterfinals."

http://philboxing.com/news/story-77247.html

Comment

LOL at the thread.

How can you say Pinoys disown Viloria when had a couple of fights already in Philippines.

Yes, Donaire is getting more better treatment due to the fact that he got more exposure here in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombraider View Post
                    Wow, you clearly don't know **** about anything.
                    sure buddy go tell you momma i want my lumpias NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg™ View Post
                      sure buddy go tell you momma i want my lumpias NOW!
                      Not before I'm done serving your mom my longanisa.

Comment

Working...
                      X