No announcement yet.

Honestly is Martinez even worth 20 percent of PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    I do like Martinez, and think he's a great fighter, but I don't take his want for a Mayweather fight seriously anymore. If it was all about proving he was the best, he would move down and prove he can make the weight, and put the pressure on Mayweather to make the fight.

With every fight where he doesn't do that, I personally believe he isn't nearly as concerned with beating Mayweather as he is with making the money involved.
    I've thought a lot about this too. Problem is, moving down and beating a top 154lber won't guarantee him a fight with Mayweather. Martinez knows he doesn't have any control at LMW, which is why he hasn't taken the risk to move down yet. He runs **** at MW, but Mayweather runs 147-154. Martinez would have to beat Canelo to have a chance of getting Floyd, do you think Canelo will take the risk??? Floyd makes moves on his own time, and Sergio doesn't have that luxury.

Sergio should just stay at 160, force the champions to fight each other, then fight the winner to cement himself as one of the best MW's of his era. Mayweather doesn't need him, so he's not gonna feel any pressure to fight him.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post

Sergio should just stay at 160, force the champions to fight each other, then fight the winner to cement himself as one of the best MW's of his era.
      Doesnt Mayweather get crucified for that?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTrue View Post
        for what?? forcing the champions to fight each other? I don't criticize him for doing that. It only makes sense due to his high status and his inactivity. He's one of the best and he barely fights, so why fight unproven/undeserving opponents? That's why I call him a chess player. It's not a positive quality in a fighter, but I can't fault him for operating that way.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 01-13-2013, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I've thought a lot about this too. Problem is, moving down and beating a top 154lber won't guarantee him a fight with Mayweather. Martinez knows he doesn't have any control at LMW, which is why he hasn't taken the risk to move down yet. He runs **** at MW, but Mayweather runs 147-154. Martinez would have to beat Canelo to have a chance of getting Floyd, do you think Canelo will take the risk??? Floyd makes moves on his own time, and Sergio doesn't have that luxury.

Sergio should just stay at 160, force the champions to fight each other, then fight the winner to cement himself as one of the best MW's of his era. Mayweather doesn't need him, so he's not gonna feel any pressure to fight him.
          That is why I don't blame either fighter for the fight not happening. Mayweather is too small for 160, where Martinez wants to stay and where the fight would matter most, but Martinez is too big for 154, which is the realistic weight it could happen at.

One of them would have to take a risk that probably wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

for what?? forcing the champions to fight each other? I don't criticize him for doing that. It only makes sense due to his high status and his inactivity. He's one of the best and he barely fights, so why fight unproven/undeserving opponents?
            Ok we aree on the same page then nvm.

Comment

Lets simplify. Martinez has headlined a ppv, period. There is no fighter outside of Pacman & Cotto fighting between 147-154 outside of Bradley that can make that boast. And Marquez. Therefore it's not crazy to say that Martinez deserves 20% against Floyd.

Furthermore make no mistake about it, Floyd/Martinez at 154 will sell big. Martinez is the only real treat to him. (That makes Floyd money). Trout, Lara & a few others are threats, but minus the revenue.

Martinez not being worth 20% is quite frankly a lame, horrible excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                That is why I don't blame either fighter for the fight not happening. Mayweather is too small for 160, where Martinez wants to stay and where the fight would matter most, but Martinez is too big for 154, which is the realistic weight it could happen at.

One of them would have to take a risk that probably wouldn't be worth it.
                The ideal for both is to stay in their own divisions and clean them out. They only have 2-3 fights left, so make them count. They have tremendous leverage, so why not use it?

Floyd should force Canelo to fight Trout while he fights Ghost, and Martinez should force Chavez to fight Macklin and Golovkin while he fights Murray. Floyd fights the winner of Canelo/Trout, while Martinez fights the winner of Chavez/Macklin/Golovkin. Then, Sergio would force Geale/Quillin and fight the winner in his last fight. Too good to be true though. There's too many loose ends for Martinez to tie up on his own. Everybody in the division has to be willing to organize the MW lineage.

My dream scenario
                January-April: GGG beats Rosado, Geale beats Mundine, Quillin beats Guerrero
                May-August: Martinez beats Murray, Chavez comes back from suspension and fights Macklin, GGG/Geale and Quillin/Pirog happens.
                September-December:Martinez fights the winner of Quillin/Pirog, winner of Chavez/Macklin vs. winner of GGG/Geale. Then the #1 and #2 fight in late December or January.
                Last edited by kiaba360; 01-13-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                  Lets simplify. Martinez has headlined a ppv, period. There is no fighter outside of Pacman & Cotto fighting between 147-154 outside of Bradley that can make that boast. And Marquez. Therefore it's not crazy to say that Martinez deserves 20% against Floyd.

Furthermore make no mistake about it, Floyd/Martinez at 154 will sell big. Martinez is the only real treat to him. (That makes Floyd money). Trout, Lara & a few others are threats, but minus the revenue.

Martinez not being worth 20% is quite frankly a lame, horrible excuse.
                  The weight is more of a deal than the money but both compounded makes it even less likely from happening. I would love to see this fight but too many things working against it.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    It's a reasonable and fair amount, but IF this fight were to ever take place I have no doubt that Floyd would offer Martinez a flat rate. It would still be a bigger purse (by a large margin) than Martinez will ever see, and he'd probably bite.
                    Yeah its hard to say. I think its fair but that is based on Martinez's p4p rating not based on his ability to bring in PPV sales.

Most of the time we dont hear all of the details on the fights that get made. Cotto got what 8 or 10 million against floyd and some ppv I think. But when fights get made they dont talk about all of the details. Fights that arent being made where the promoters are arguing in public is the ones we hear about.

Even though Martinez-Floyd is a huge matchup for real boxing fans the way the world works martinez gets a lot less than cotto because he isnt as popular.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsTrue View Post
                      no mayweather doesn't do that. he waits till someone scores a fluke win then fights them. where was he when cotto beat quintana, judah and mosley? last man standing right? mayweather was gone. where was he when margarito was on top? gone. where was he when pac was on top? gone. mosley on top for 1 fight and he's proclaimed LAST MAN STANDING by floyd fans! makes no logical sense but mayweather fans have no logic or sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X