No announcement yet.

Muhammad Ali: Great or The Greatest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
    Muhammad often claimed (hype or not) to be the greatest of all time, which implied P4P. There was a time he seemed (to me at least) to be the greatest of all time in his weight class. In hindsight, I've gained enough perspective to give him this: Ali was the greatest of his time (or era) among heavyweights.

In summation and in my book, Sugar Ray Robinson holds the title of Greatest of All Time, P4P. Joe Louis was the greatest heavyweight ever, with Muhammad Ali a close 2nd.
    I rank Louis 1st, with Ali a close second among heavyweights. After seeing video of him, I'd agree with Robinson being the Greatest of All Time, even Ali has admitted as much in a clip I saw during the Ringside episode on Robinson.

Comment

...In summation and in my book, Sugar Ray Robinson holds the title of Greatest of All Time, P4P. Joe Louis was the greatest heavyweight ever, with Muhammad Ali a close 2nd.
      Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      I rank Louis 1st, with Ali a close second among heavyweights. After seeing video of him, I'd agree with Robinson being the Greatest of All Time, even Ali has admitted as much in a clip I saw during the Ringside episode on Robinson.
      For once - as far as I can recall - I see eye-to-eye with another on this issue.

Comment

Really? Okay cool. I believe I've often seen eye to eye with you as well.

Comment

greatest of all time greatest of all time greatest of all time

Comment

Muhammad often claimed (hype or not) to be the greatest of all time, which implied P4P. There was a time he seemed (to me at least) to be the greatest of all time in his weight class. In hindsight, I've gained enough perspective to give him this: Ali was the greatest of his time (or era) among heavyweights.

In summation and in my book, Sugar Ray Robinson holds the title of Greatest of All Time, P4P. Joe Louis was the greatest heavyweight ever, with Muhammad Ali a close 2nd.
            I only think he was talking about the heavyweight division. Ali respected SRR way too much to imply that he was better than him

Comment

peep my sig.

Comment

He's one of the greatest, although I could account him as GOAT for his accomplishments. Although, I believe prime Tyson had the boxing IQ, mentality, and physicality to beat any HW.

Comment

I got him top 5 p4p but not number 1.

Comment

Originally posted by tadpole25 View Post
                    Ali, in the end, said the whole talk about him being "the greatest" was all hype, but if you look at all of his assets, perhaps he was.

- Longevity. He essentially had two primes.
                    - He was easily the fastest moving heavyweight
                    - He competed in the most competitive era in history.
                    - He never cherrypicked. He faced all of the toughest fighters.

It's hard to objectify this, because there are differences in eras (the nutritional and training standards) as well as weight classes.

But Ali is a very good candidate for the #1 spot.
                    As a heavyweight, yes. Ali's quality of opposition was better than Louis or any other heavyweight and it's not debatable in my opinion. Three of Ali's victories are over heavyweight's generally seen as top 10 all time in the division.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      As a heavyweight, yes. Ali's quality of opposition was better than Louis or any other heavyweight and it's not debatable in my opinion. Three of Ali's victories are over heavyweight's generally seen as top 10 all time in the division.
                      Agreed, these days I have Ali clearly the number 1 heavyweight.

Like 6 or something P4P.

Comment

Working...
                      X