No announcement yet.

Ali or Louis. Wh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
    Most of the guys Louis beat were also in the top 10. Infact he beat more top 10 guys than Ali.

If however you are trying to say top 10 of all time, okay.

I have Louis and if anyone has Ali its fine with me.
    Did he?

I'm pretty sure Ali beat more Top 10 guys than Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      Louis has the second best resume at HW of all time, questioning his resume is outright stupid.

Actually Ali jabbed to the body and chest.

It's insane to say he wasn't that impressive after his hiatus, considering he beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders in his comeback, arguably the most impressive wins of his career.

It doesn't damage his resume since he was far past his prime, he deserved the win over Shavers for sure anyway and the Young and Norton fights were close fights against good fighters.

You won't mention the Walcott fight for Louis?

Yet you don't mention anything about Louis' career past his prime?

That stuff becomes irrelevant when your past prime and he only really took unnecessary punishment when he was fully washed up.

Still no mention for Louis who did exactly the same thing, I don't see how it effects either fighters greatness anyway.

Yet he beat ATG heavyweights when his athletic abilities and gifts deteriorated. Wow you are a genius!

There isn't a right or wrong way to box, every gym you go to trainers teach different things, the only things that matter are effectiveness and what Ali did worked for him even when his gifts and athleticism deteriorated he was still able to beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders so your point is void.

While I might agree or disgaree with a lot you said one is false.

Louis fought past his prime because he was forced to , he was out of money.
      Ali fought because he wanted to, not because he was forced to. There is a big difference between jumping to the sea out of your freewill and being pushed into it IMO.

Comparing Walcott to Leon Spinks is a bit clumsy IMO. Walcott is easily top 25 heavy, Leon is hardly top 75.

And to be fair, Louis's technique and style was more suited to ageing than Ali's was. Both were greats, which was showed by their wins against good opponents even when they were past prime.

Comment

Ali ranks above Louis for me, H2H and P4P. Head to Head I don't think there is anyone I'd pick to beat Ali 2 out of 3 or 6 out of 10, the man was just too good.

H2H Louis presents obvious problems, and was probably the best offensive fighter to ever walk the planet, but I just see Ali blunting that attack enough while very effectively using his own offense to win the fight. The athleticism would be too much, as it often was for everyone Ali fought.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I had a feeling the usual 'bum of the month' retort would arise in your response.

Either that or the good old 'Two Ton Tony Galento' argument.

Both, however, just stupid. Very very stupid.

Refer to Jab's post for a response to Bum of the month.
          Sounds like a character out of a Tarantino movie.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Did he?

I'm pretty sure Ali beat more Top 10 guys than Louis.
            If you go by distinct fighters it is Ali, if you by total number of fights its Louis.

I think you used the distinct fighters figure, which is also logical, its then 32-5 Ali and 30-3 Louis.

If using fights only its 44-3 Louis , Ali 34-5.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Sounds like a character out of a Tarantino movie.
              It does.

Not a huge fan of Tarantino myself.

Comment

While I might agree or disgaree with a lot you said one is false.

Ali fought because he wanted to, not because he was forced to. There is a big difference between jumping to the sea out of your freewill and being pushed into it IMO.

Comparing Walcott to Leon Spinks is a bit clumsy IMO. Walcott is easily top 25 heavy, Leon is hardly top 75.

And to be fair, Louis's technique and style was more suited to ageing than Ali's was. Both were greats, which was showed by their wins against good opponents even when they were past prime.
                What does that have to do with how they rank? How is it any different? It's irrelevant. And you don't truly know whether Ali needed the money or not so you shouldn't even speak on that. Money is a big reason for why any fighters continue to fight and if you think not you're naive.

If you don't believe me maybe Ali's words will convince you. 8:29 of the video.

Last edited by joseph5620; 11-29-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                  Louis has the second best resume at HW of all time, questioning his resume is outright stupid.

Actually Ali jabbed to the body and chest.

It's insane to say he wasn't that impressive after his hiatus, considering he beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders in his comeback, arguably the most impressive wins of his career.

It doesn't damage his resume since he was far past his prime, he deserved the win over Shavers for sure anyway and the Young and Norton fights were close fights against good fighters.

You won't mention the Walcott fight for Louis?

Yet you don't mention anything about Louis' career past his prime?

That stuff becomes irrelevant when your past prime and he only really took unnecessary punishment when he was fully washed up.

Still no mention for Louis who did exactly the same thing, I don't see how it effects either fighters greatness anyway.

Yet he beat ATG heavyweights when his athletic abilities and gifts deteriorated. Wow you are a genius!

There isn't a right or wrong way to box, every gym you go to trainers teach different things, the only things that matter are effectiveness and what Ali did worked for him even when his gifts and athleticism deteriorated he was still able to beat ATG heavyweights and top contenders so your point is void.
                  Yeah I notice how that is always ignored by many as if a jab is not a punch. Ali actually went to the body a lot in this fight.

Last edited by joseph5620; 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    What does that have to do with how they rank? How is it any different? It's irrelevant. And you don't truly know whether Ali needed the money or not so you shouldn't even speak on that. Money is a big reason for why any fighters continue to fight and if you think not you're naive.

If you don't believe me maybe Ali's words will convince you. 8:29 of the video.

LOL I don't rate Ali or Louis higher because of either of it. I was responding to someone.

And about Ali I saw that interview, but I will still say whatever were the problems it wasn't never as much as Louis who was more or less compelled to fight...

To make my case simple I might have $100 of which the IRS claims $90...I might have $100 and want $110...both are me wanting money true, but the situation is different.

Joseph one last word, don't take this personally, but you really need to start reading, posts a bit more thoroughly.

Comment

[QUOTE=Greatest1942;11490092]LOL I don't rate Ali or Louis higher because of either of it. I was responding to someone.

And about Ali I saw that interview, but I will still say whatever were the problems it wasn't never as much as Louis who was more or less compelled to fight...

To make my case simple I might have $100 of which the IRS claims $90...I might have $100 and want $110...both are me wanting money true, but the situation is different.

Joseph one last word, don't take this personally, but you really need to start reading, posts a bit more thoroughly.[QUOTE]

I don't take anything here personally and I read what you said thoroughly. You responded to a post that made a point about how both looked bad when they were past prime. This was your response:

Also, the thread title is "who ranks higher and why?" That is the topic.

Comment

Working...
                      X