Dazn and espn are absolutely right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulf View Post
    Yep.

I was at a work conference in Dallas last fall and was one of the few analysts in a room full of directors, VPs, CEOs, etc (guys with money). One of the speakers was talking about product vs service and asked us if we knew the reason Netflix was successful. She said "raise your hand if you still get DVDs in the mail from Netflix" and a bunch of hands went up, which astounded the rest of us. These were rich guys that probably had giant houses in rural areas or the edge of suburbs, so high speed internet wasn't available.

She told that us Blockbuster actually got into streaming first, in the mid 2000s in a partnership with Enron, but the technology wasn't there and watching a movie on your 2002 eMachine computer sucked, so the project was a flop. Netflix succeeded because, rather than offering a product (streaming movies on your ****ty 2002 eMachines computer) they focused on the service by solving your problem of getting movies into your home. First with mail order DVDs, and then gradually brought in the streaming as the technology got here.

Which is kind of interesting when you think about that approach and how it could apply to boxing.
    Yep. Redbox is still popular. I live in a metropolitan area & they're everywhere. And the Africans selling DVD's & CD's outside the store are still making money.

Comment

Comment

Ease of access & pricing is a big problem for apps. Every extra step you have to take to access content you lose viewers. Turning on the TV and pressing a button to access content will always be optimal.

Netflix, DAZN, ESPN plus, Disney app, HBO app, Showtime app, Hulu or Sling or Youtube T.V. (any streaming service that offers live TV). Now you're paying just as much or more than cable T.V. And add in the cost for high speed internet (50mbps ain't gonna do it) you're easily up over $200 a month and there are more apps to come!

Comment

its the way of the future and imo everybody better jump on board......

soon cable companies will go out of business as there will be no need for them.

I have DAZN, Hulu (free with sprint), Netflix (family plan), sometimes ESPN+, youtube premium, multitude of apps on my samsung smart tv and if I want regular channels etc (news etc) I bought one of those $80 antenna things to get basic channels......

and all that comes out to WAY LESS than what I was paying for cable or even when I had fios before.

DAZN-$10
          Hulu-Free with phone plan
          Netflix-$15 family plan
          youtube premium-$12

one thing that is beneficial imo is that I can watch any of those ANYWHERE....

its not like I can take my tv and cable with me and plug it in somewhere etc

Comment

Streaming is definitely the way of the future but it's not going to be an over night thing as it concerns people TOTALLY cancelling cable (Not just having Netflix subs).

I personally haven't had cable in 4 years and have been streaming ever since and haven't missed anything (actually have more now than before paying less). The Cable companies, Networks, NBA, MLB, NFL, Boxing, UFC...they all see it coming. I'm pretty sure in the next 10 years streaming will be as normal as listening to music on your phone.

Here are two questions kids will likely be asking in 10 years:

"What's a CD?" and "What's Cable?"

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
              Streaming is definitely the way of the future but it's not going to be an over night thing as it concerns people TOTALLY cancelling cable (Not just having Netflix subs).

I personally haven't had cable in 4 years and have been streaming ever since and haven't missed anything (actually have more now than before paying less). The Cable companies, Networks, NBA, MLB, NFL, Boxing, UFC...they all see it coming. I'm pretty sure in the next 10 years streaming will be as normal as listening to music on your phone.

What do you use for internet?

Comment

Showtime was the first to start streaming.Start your free trial here.

They have more subscribers than DAZN and ESPN+ combined.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post

You are correct about kids but they will ask that now. A month or so ago the wife and I were Spring cleaning and we threw out a DVD player from our room. Our 11yr old daughter asked us "what is that thing"? LMFAO!!

Comment

The ignorance of people claiming cable companies will soon be out of business. Especially with the increase is smart homes. You have no idea what these cable companies have in store

https://lightgig.com

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
                      Showtime was the first to start streaming.Start your free trial here.

They have more subscribers than DAZN and ESPN+ combined.
                      yup im about to get that streamed on my smart tv

Comment

Working...
                      X