Sonny Liston`s Jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston`s Jab

A couple questions about this.

1. Did Liston have the hardest left jab ever?

2. How did he throw his jab so hard? When I`m in the gym I really work on my jab, but I can`t seem to get the sting I want behind it.

Originally posted by Kid Canada

2. How did he throw his jab so hard? When I`m in the gym I really work on my jab, but I can`t seem to get the sting I want behind it.
    i'm not sure if it was the hardest, but it definetely was the best combination of power and speed, so i would say it's arguably the best jab in boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Canada

Liston allegedly KO'd Roy Harris with a jab. Ali is considered to have the fastest jab, Liston the hardest and Holmes a hybrid of the two. You need leverage to throw a powerful jab so start with you stance and your balance. You must also put your shoulder and weight behind it and think less about speed and more about drilling a hole through the bag. I could show you easier than I could tell you. Once you have practiced this, drink a few Alpine's then head over to downtown Moncton and test your new found leverage on the locals...

Comment

Liston had a long reach for his size. He flung out that long powerful jab with speed and accuracy. It was a combination of speed and power, and although it wasn't the hardest it was almost certainly the most effective.

Comment

I like Holmes's jab over Liston's. Louis had a great jab as well.

You're problem is you're probably not stepping in with your jab. Ask your coach to show you how to do this properly. If you want to stop a guy in his tracks, you need to step in with the jab and bring your weight into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
            You're problem is you're probably not stepping in with your jab. Ask your coach to show you how to do this properly. If you want to stop a guy in his tracks, you need to step in with the jab and bring your weight into it.
            Absolutely. Think of it as a power shot and not just a punch to set up the right hand. If you don't step into it it will be an arm punch...

Comment

aaaah but than its defined as straight left and not a jab.

Comment

lewis didnt step in to his jab .

Comment

Originally posted by catskills23
                  lewis didnt step in to his jab .
                  He didn't have to. He planted his feet and weighed over 250 lbs. I don't recall seeing him ever stagger or floor an opponent with his jab...

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                    i'm not sure if it was the hardest, but it definetely was the best combination of power and speed, so i would say it's arguably the best jab in boxing history.
                    **** i heard he could knock out teeth with his jab
                    Charlie Zelenoff Charlie Zelenoff likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X