Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short arm boxers

What strategy do you guys use?

I've come up with two game plans:

1. Hands high, form tight, lots of weaving in, body shots, body to head combos, lots of lateral movement and constant pressure.

2. Stand my ground mostly and counter, some forward movement, slip punches and counter really hard, body shots, once i get hit in-> start applying forward pressure

I find that when I spar people with longer reaches, they're always able to hit and move when I try to apply pressure, especially with right uppercuts. I was wondering if there is something I should train for specifically to fight against opponents with longer reach (which is pretty much everyone)

Comment

if you can punch hard and you have a good chin

4 words
      cut off the ring

Comment

Originally posted by shinzie View Post
        What strategy do you guys use?

I've come up with two game plans:

1. Hands high, form tight, lots of weaving in, body shots, body to head combos, lots of lateral movement and constant pressure.

2. Stand my ground mostly and counter, some forward movement, slip punches and counter really hard, body shots, once i get hit in-> start applying forward pressure

I find that when I spar people with longer reaches, they're always able to hit and move when I try to apply pressure, especially with right uppercuts. I was wondering if there is something I should train for specifically to fight against opponents with longer reach (which is pretty much everyone)

and with the uppercuts make sure you aren't leaning forward too much

you're probably punching from too far away and that's the result

feint your way in so you can see what's going to come at you
        and then make them pay for it when you know what they're going to do and have the chance to make better decisions about what distance you're choosing to punch

Comment

faint them.

Comment

I don't have short arms, but I used to spar regularly with a guy who did and fought well. It's all about fighting at your range, need to be good defensively to get into your range then throw straight, technically solid punches on the inside.

Comment

Working...
            X