Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys I’m so bored, did mike Tyson ever beat an ATG in their prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys I’m so bored, did mike Tyson ever beat an ATG in their prime?

I’ve having a look at his record cause I’m bored af in lockdown and did he ever beat any ATG that were in their primes, cause looking at it he lost in the big time fights.

No, he did not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Giggles View Post
      I’ve having a look at his record cause I’m bored af in lockdown and did he ever beat any ATG that were in their primes, cause looking at it he lost in the big time fights.
      Unfortunately he didn't have an opportunity to face any all-time greats in his prime (or in their prime for that matter).

He came along right after Larry Holmes' title reign, however he did destroy the man who had ended that reign a few years prior. (Michael Spinks). Spinks wasn't an all-time great but he was undefeated going into the fight and Tyson essentially retired him. He also defeated Larry Holmes in 1988, and contrary to popular belief, Holmes wasn't completely shot at that point because he came back four years later to beat a top contender in Ray Mercer and lose competitively to a prime Evander Holyfield. In other words, it's impossible to be shot in 1988 but not in 1992

Tyson was also scheduled to fight Evander Holyfield in 1991 but he had to pull out with a rib injury and then he went to prison the following year.

Tyson did lose his biggest fights (Holyfield in '96 and '97) and Lennox Lewis in 2002 but his prime was long gone by then. Tyson's best years were 1986-1989 which was right after Larry Holmes and right before guys like Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and Riddick Bowe came on the scene. If Tyson were a few years older or younger then he would have had better competition.

Comment

Maybe you can say Spinks, but prime Mike was the ATG

Comment

No. He had some decent wins. I'll compare his best wins to current fighters ability wise.

Tony Tucker - Gerald Washington
          Old Larry Holmes - Kevin Johnson (prime version)
          Tony Tubbs - Eric Molina
          Michael Spinks - Jesse Hart
          Frank Bruno - David Price
          Alex Stewart - Lucas Browne
          Razor Ruddock - Joey Abell

Comment

Larry Holmes wasn't in his prime, but he wasn't nearly as past it as people thought at the time. He had 24 fights after that, challenging for the HW title twice.

Comment

Interesting. So why is mike Tyson considered one of the greatest ever if not the greatest ever if he hasn’t beat any ATG prime fighters???

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
                No. He had some decent wins. I'll compare his best wins to current fighters ability wise.

Tony Tubbs - Eric Molina
                My goodness, looks like mike Tyson was a CAN MAN!

Comment

Tony Tubbs - Eric Molina
                  Razor Ruddock Joey Abell??????
                  Tony Tucker Gerald Washington?????
                  The great Micheal Spinks the same as Jesse Hart????
                  Hell NO! not even close in comparisons. Ridiculous

Comment

Tony Tubbs - Eric Molina
                    every single part of that is ludicrously wrong. you clearly don't understand first thing about boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X