No announcement yet.

Need help sparring!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help sparring!

I was sparring today, and i fought was sparring with this guy who was bigger then me, he was jus throwing body shots at me, painful ones too...he had his arms down so i could punch him in the face, but whenever i would throw a punch he would punch me in the ribs REALLY hard, and plus he was working on my arms so my arms were dead weak, if in any case i spar with him again, wat kind of startegy should i use, oh and dont tell me to move around alot cos this guy was two times bigger then me so whenever i take 5 steps he takes one...

Originally posted by shamz
    I was sparring today, and i fought was sparring with this guy who was bigger then me, he was jus throwing body shots at me, painful ones too...he had his arms down so i could punch him in the face, but whenever i would throw a punch he would punch me in the ribs REALLY hard, and plus he was working on my arms so my arms were dead weak, if in any case i spar with him again, wat kind of startegy should i use, oh and dont tell me to move around alot cos this guy was two times bigger then me so whenever i take 5 steps he takes one...

MOVE, MOVE MOVE!

Instead of moving back, how about shuffle to the sides and throw punches from different angles....

However if he to big, why even get in and spar with him then?

Comment

i jus think its good practise to fight someone as big as him, but still, that one tactic of his is pissing me off, its hard to move around alot cos as u may know i get tired pretty easy

Comment

Obviously not having seen the both of you spar, I don't know what your guy's individual athletic ability, experience, and vital stats,but from the minimal information you have given us, like for example each time you take 5 steps equals to 1 for him....sounds like a much bigger guy than you. You had also mentioned that he would work on your arms alot, sounds like he throws a lot of hooks if that's the case, when he throws a hook to your arms counter him right away with either a straight punch to the face or solar plexus. I'd also like to reiterate what Spinx Jinx suggested earlier and that is to move around, and don't be predictable when moving circles around him, change it up like a running back would, even if you are not able to land your jabs throw it out there anyway and NO LAZY Jabs, and also while moving around throw lots of feints, you'll eventually throw him off and be able to do some work of your own. The reality of it is unless you are Roy Jones Jr or Sweet Pea Whitaker, you are gonna have to work twice as hard against a guy bigger than you and it may also come down to having to take a risk of lunging in. Now I know that lunging in is a cardinal sin in boxing but you do what you have to do to get yours. May I add, that when I say lunging in it's preferable to do it from an angle and not directly against your sparmate. TIMING and DISTANCE is everything in boxing! So if you decide to lunge in make sure you are not too far and don't do it when your sparring partner is still fresh.
        Last edited by rsl; 10-21-2004, 10:38 PM.

Comment

i jus think its good practise to fight someone as big as him, but still, that one tactic of his is pissing me off, its hard to move around alot cos as u may know i get tired pretty easy
          Geez I just got done typing up my post to your boxing dillemmas and I see another "problem" of yours. To be quite honest with you, at this point I think you are helpless, it's excuses after excuses. **** if I had bad conditioning then it really wouldn't matter if the guy was bigger or smaller than me. So if you are serious about this sport and care about yourself enough so you won't get hurt as much. I strongly recommend that you do some major roadwork and it'll be easier!

Comment

Originally posted by rsl
            Geez I just got done typing up my post to your boxing dillemmas and I see another "problem" of yours. To be quite honest with you, at this point I think you are helpless, it's excuses after excuses. **** if I had bad conditioning then it really wouldn't matter if the guy was bigger or smaller than me. So if you are serious about this sport and care about yourself enough so you won't get hurt as much. I strongly recommend that you do some major roadwork and it'll be easier!
            he is damn right . boxing without conditioning is suicide .
            weights ,heavy bag and pads come second , roadwork is the key.

Comment

The only way to break that fatigue is dig deep down inside and pull it out, if you quit or slack off when tired you wont excel...You need to pull deep down and break it out of yourself man.......

Good conditioning can be mental as much as he can be physical.

Comment

can I ask you all something...

Where are your trainers in these gyms you're all working out at ?

Why ask people on here, instead of the experts who should be working with you ?

Comment

i come here for opinion, wat others have to say, i cant jus listen to one person (trainer) i need more advice, so its not like i only come here for advise....if you got some, then feel free to let me know, if you dont, then why bother even typing against the thread?\
                  not disagreeing with any of you guys tho, yes i know i shouldnt be sparring with someone who is bigger than me, thats why i am not sparring him no more, i asked for a strategy based opinion, not really a stats based opinion

Comment

by the way rsl, i liked wat u had to say in ur first post

Comment

Working...
                    X