Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach rips Floyd performance

Roach rips Floyd performance

By Dennis Principe

They still have to deal with Miguel Cotto but Hall-of-Fame trainer Freddie Roach just couldn’t hold back in talking about Floyd Mayweather, Jr. The day he arrived in Baguio City to hook up with his prized fighter Manny Pacquiao, Roach told ********* that Mayweather missed the chance of gaining enough bargaining leverage in his latest fight against Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez. “The fight was there for the taking but he just couldn’t finish Marquez because he doesn‘t have the balls to finish him off ,” said Roach. “The only way that he could have benefited in fighting Marquez was by knocking him out and doing something Manny couldn’t do. He’s a great boxer and I can’t take that away from him. But he’s not exciting. He doesn’t make me jump off my seat. That’s what boxing needs.”

As for Mayweather’s chances against Pacquiao, Roach admits its going to be a difficult fight but quickly adds the Filipino multi-division world champion’s skills would eventually lead them to a victory.

“Mayweather’s not the bravest guy in the world so you got to take chances. He’s a very difficult style for anyone but with enough punching power and pressure I think my fighter can get him because I’ve got the best fighter in the world,” said Roach.

Roach thinks the most difficult aspect of dealing with Mayweather is not inside the ring but on the negotiating table.

“It’s what the world wants to see. But the thing is, can you get him sign the contract? I don’t know. It’s going to be difficult because he thinks he’s going to get all the money,” said Roach. “If he thinks he’s going to get equal money with us, he’s crazy. He needs us, we don’t need him.”

Roach justified his assessment of Mayweather’s marketability by describing the American’s 12-round decision win against Marquez last weekend at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

“Let’s face it, the guy that puts asses on the seats is Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather doesn’t draw. Against Marquez the venue was 80% Mexican,” said Roach.

Pacquiao (49-3-2, 37 knockouts) will battle Cotto (34-1, 27 KOs) over 12-rounds for the Puerto Rican’s World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas. Both combatants agreed to fight at a catch weight of 145 lb.

Next week, Pacquiao shifts to higher gear as he gets to face
    four sparring partners led by undefeated A merican boxer Shawn Porter . All are capable of simulating the style of Cotto, according to Roach.

“Porter is my main guy right now. He’s 11-0 with 10 knockouts and is a light middleweight who’s got a strong left hook,” said Roach.

link

yes of corse roach

Comment

funny how Roach pays such attention to Floyd when Pac has to fight Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by freeloada View Post
        Roach rips Floyd performance

By Dennis Principe

They still have to deal with Miguel Cotto but Hall-of-Fame trainer Freddie Roach just couldn’t hold back in talking about Floyd Mayweather, Jr. The day he arrived in Baguio City to hook up with his prized fighter Manny Pacquiao, Roach told ********* that Mayweather missed the chance of gaining enough bargaining leverage in his latest fight against Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez. “The fight was there for the taking but he just couldn’t finish Marquez because he doesn‘t have the balls to finish him off ,” said Roach. “The only way that he could have benefited in fighting Marquez was by knocking him out and doing something Manny couldn’t do. He’s a great boxer and I can’t take that away from him. But he’s not exciting. He doesn’t make me jump off my seat. That’s what boxing needs.”

As for Mayweather’s chances against Pacquiao, Roach admits its going to be a difficult fight but quickly adds the Filipino multi-division world champion’s skills would eventually lead them to a victory.

“Mayweather’s not the bravest guy in the world so you got to take chances. He’s a very difficult style for anyone but with enough punching power and pressure I think my fighter can get him because I’ve got the best fighter in the world,” said Roach.

Roach thinks the most difficult aspect of dealing with Mayweather is not inside the ring but on the negotiating table.

“It’s what the world wants to see. But the thing is, can you get him sign the contract? I don’t know. It’s going to be difficult because he thinks he’s going to get all the money,” said Roach. “If he thinks he’s going to get equal money with us, he’s crazy. He needs us, we don’t need him.”

Roach justified his assessment of Mayweather’s marketability by describing the American’s 12-round decision win against Marquez last weekend at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas.

“Let’s face it, the guy that puts asses on the seats is Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather doesn’t draw. Against Marquez the venue was 80% Mexican,” said Roach.

Pacquiao (49-3-2, 37 knockouts) will battle Cotto (34-1, 27 KOs) over 12-rounds for the Puerto Rican’s World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight crown on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas. Both combatants agreed to fight at a catch weight of 145 lb.

Next week, Pacquiao shifts to higher gear as he gets to face
        four sparring partners led by undefeated A merican boxer Shawn Porter . All are capable of simulating the style of Cotto, according to Roach.

“Porter is my main guy right now. He’s 11-0 with 10 knockouts and is a light middleweight who’s got a strong left hook,” said Roach.

link
        Roach the wise sage is right.

Gayweather is straight out dumb if he think he deserves an equal share of the pot.

Fraud couldn't even fill the arena for such a high profile fight which was delayed by months.

I say give Pac 60 percent at least and the rest of the leftovers can be given to gayweather.

If not gayweather can return to fighting Caldeon or maybe Nietes.

Comment

Originally posted by V. WEBB JR. View Post
          Funny how Roach is right.

Comment

Every good trainer watches current fights and has opinions about what he saw. A two minute interview doesn't mean he isn't paying attention to Floyd. Even Manny watched the fight. Problem with Roach is he tells the media what he thinks. He is no better than the Mayweather's.

Comment

Originally posted by terrio View Post
              Every good trainer watches current fights and has opinions about what he saw. A two minute interview doesn't mean he isn't paying attention to Floyd. Even Manny watched the fight. Problem with Roach is he tells the media what he thinks. He is no better than the Mayweather's.
              But Roach is right.

And that's what separates him from the idiots that is the gayweathers.

Comment

Originally posted by terrio View Post
                trust me bro, im not just talking about this interview. He has been doing this in MANY interviews. Now, I picked Manny to beat Cotto but I get the feeling that they are looking past Cotto. That's not wise if that's the case.

Comment

trust me bro, im not just talking about this interview. He has been doing this in MANY interviews. Now, I picked Manny to beat Cotto but I get the feeling that they are looking past Cotto. That's not wise if that's the case.
                  true. I think Manny is going to take this fight, but he does need to train well and be careful. Even though I think Manny is going to win, Cotto can still end it with one punch. Cotto has power.

Comment

it seems to me like roach is desperate for the mayweather/pac fight, he cant stop talkin about mayweather. its guna be very embarassing if cotto beats pac like i think he will

Comment

Working...
                    X