No announcement yet.

Freddie Roach: "Manny overtrained for the fight."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Roach: "Manny overtrained for the fight."

More excuses are flooding in. Freddie is contradicting himself after earlier stating that Manny had his best ever pre-fight training camp.

Freddie Roach has admitted that Manny Pacquiao was "overtrained" for the contest with Juan Manuel Marquez, and it stands up in some ways. I remember thinking, and saying to his biographer Gary Andrew Poole on Wednesday when Pacquiao spoke to us at small media conference before the main head to head shindig at the Hollywood Theater at the MGM Grand, that Pacquiao looked old in the face, sullen even. Is the burden of expectation, coupled with his pull towards politics beginning to weigh more heavily on him than ever before ?

In an interview Wednesday with The Sweet Science, Roach confessed. "I give him a B minus. He wasn't really himself, he had a bad night. I don't know why, but he maybe overtrained for the fight. Maybe we started him too soon. He helped Jorge Linares get ready, and we thought that was a good idea at the time. Maybe he was overtrained, and left a little in the gym."

However, while many believe on the strength of Pacquiao's performance against Marquez that Floyd Mayweather would enjoy tactical supremacy, Roach added: “Floyd Mayweather is my first choice. If he comes to the table, we’ll take the fight any day.”

Meanwhile, Marquez has laid out his demands ahead of a potential re-match. "The fight can't happen in Las Vegas, and there have to be neutral judges and we must do well economically," Marquez told boxingscene.com. "Then people will realise the fight is going to be completely neutral and a true winner will leave the ring."

"We must convey that boxing still has credibility. In the two matches that I've had with him, I found a weak point. And I've always said that if I fought him with the same speed, with movements of the waist and with counter-attacks, it makes things complicated for him. And that's just what we did, and we fought him with intelligence. If I don't fight [Pacquiao], there isn't anyone else, I'll just retire."

Marv Dumon, of Examiner.com, has had clarified the "yellow substance" being given to Marquez during the fight on Saturday night. Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), told Dumon: "Water and electrolyte drinks are allowed in the corner. Any electrolyte drink must be brought to the arena in factory-sealed, plastic bottles. Mr. Marquez used water and Pedialyte on Saturday night."

Pedialyte, an electrolyte solution, is manufactured by Abbott Laboratories and is designed to rehydrate one's body, replacing fluids and mineral lost either through illness or strenuous activity.

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
    More excuses are flooding in. Freddie is contradicting himself after earlier stating that Manny had his best ever pre-fight training camp.
    My dad was a boxer. Before freddie said this my dad told me he over trained and thats the reason he got his leg cramps.

Comment

Hey man... it's not his fault he had secret leg cramps that only surface in the fourth round.
      They should feed him bananas or something.... or piss.... they should bear grills in as a corner man.

Comment

So let's say he overtrained for this fight. You still gave him no gameplan. Roach expected Marquez to ambush Manny. Seriously! The only good sparring partner they used was Linares who lost his recent fight.

Comment

I agree somebody in here posted a video Pacquiao training a few days before the fight and somebody posted in here that he should go easy and not overtrain looks like he was right. I agree with Stephen Colbert he should be eating a lot of bananas those help you avoid getting cramps but maybe Pacquiao's cramps is a more serious problem than we thought.
          Last edited by Bear06; 11-17-2011, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidtracer.com View Post
            My dad was a boxer. Before freddie said this my dad told me he over trained and thats the reason he got his leg cramps.
            What's that got to do with anything????

It's the Zillionth excuse the team has come up with. Furthermore, they have contradicted themselves after initially saying that he had a great training camp.

Keep up.

Comment

Originally posted by Seleção No. 13 View Post
              So let's say he overtrained for this fight. You still gave him no gameplan. Roach expected Marquez to ambush Manny. Seriously! The only good sparring partner they used was Linares who lost his recent fight.
              Don't you mean Roach expected Pacquiao to ambush Marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidtracer.com View Post
                Out of all the BS excuses coming out from Manny followers, and not the people who are close to him that actually know boxing...I'm starting to think this might be the case as well. Obviously Marquez was also a huge reason he had problems that night, but I can actually buy into this excuse somewhat. It probably just compounded the problems he was already going to have with the style of JMM.

I know this thread will probably turn for the worst, but this definitely does happen in boxing and can happen to anyone - especially those who train at the intensity Pac does. But, it's gotta be concerning- this is 2 fights in a row he's had cramps.

Comment

Lol so many excuses, i guess it's that time of the month
                  Last edited by Snake...; 11-17-2011, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear06 View Post
                    Don't you mean Roach expected Pacquiao to ambush Marquez.
                    No, Roach said that they were expecting Marquez to go and exchange punches with Pacquiao so they would KO him ... They were expecting a very aggressive Marquez that would go for the KO in the early rounds ... Stupid game plan when you realize that Marquez is one of the best counter punchers in history and has a very high ring IQ.

Comment

Working...
                    X