Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Should Be Remembered As The Greater Fighter, Dick Tiger Or Joe Calzaghe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Should Be Remembered As The Greater Fighter, Dick Tiger Or Joe Calzaghe?

Well? Who do you think was the greater fighter? Also give your reason behind you pick.....

Joe Calzaghe isn't in Dick Tiger's league. Dick Tiger fought legit competition and has wins over great fighters. Joe Calzaghe has a few good wins but not one win over a great opponent (fighting Hopkins and Jones when their old enough to join AARP doesn't count.).
    Last edited by DeepSleep; 01-15-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Tiger was undisputed MW and LHW Champion in an era of great fighters, which he fought and defeated.

Joe Calzaghe fought in the SMW division of an era of a great MW (Hopkins) and LHW (Jones), with some other pretty solid competition at SMW (Ottke) and LHW (Dariusz M, Glen Johnson, Antonio Tarver) that he never faced. Calzaghe holds claim to a record amount of title defenses at SMW, but they were of the WBO title, which for many of his defenses was not recognized.

But then again I guess that's the price of being undefeated. Tiger only edges Calzaghe because he did in fact have a sizable amount of losses to go along with his great wins.
      Last edited by Obama; 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I like Calzaghe and do think he is an ATG unlike many haters at NSB. But he is not close to Dick Tiger. Tiger was Fighter of year twice and beat hall of fame fighters as Fullmer, Torres, Griffith, Giardello, and Benveneti. He does have alot of losses but to top guys like Bob Foster.

Calzaghe beat Eubank when he was past his prime-not nowhere the same when he beat Nigel Benn. Calzaghe barely beat fighters as Reid, Brewer, and Bako(sp?). He never faced Collins and Benn(who was little before his time). Nonetheless, he did beat Lacy and Kessler when they were undefeated. People may say they are overrated but a fighter who is unbeaten has alot of confidence until that first lost. He stayed only with the WBO SMW title for many years but still to make all those defenses without a lost is something that should be appreciated. He was able also to move up in weight and beat BHOP- something that Kelly Pavlik didn't even come close to doing. I do think Calzaghe is still is barely top 100 and Tiger top 70.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
          I like Calzaghe and do think he is an ATG unlike many haters at NSB. But he is not close to Dick Tiger. Tiger was Fighter of year twice and beat hall of fame fighters as Fullmer, Torres, Griffith, Giardello, and Benveneti. He does have alot of losses but to top guys like Bob Foster.

Calzaghe beat Eubank when he was past his prime-not nowhere the same when he beat Nigel Benn. Calzaghe barely beat fighters as Reid, Brewer, and Bako(sp?). He never faced Collins and Benn(who was little before his time). Nonetheless, he did beat Lacy and Kessler when they were undefeated. People may say they are overrated but a fighter who is unbeaten has alot of confidence until that first lost. He stayed only with the WBO SMW title for many years but still to make all those defenses without a lost is something that should be appreciated. He was able also to move up in weight and beat BHOP- something that Kelly Pavlik didn't even come close to doing. I do think Calzaghe is still is barely top 100 and Tiger top 70.
          Sound account!.. Nice to see a well balanced post without predudice..
          I also agree with where you rate them..

I do get bored of people saying the wins against B/Hop & RJJ don't count, simply because Hopkins was 40 something and Jones was 39..
          Calzaghe was 35 with 2 broken hands..

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post

Pretty much go along with you on that.
            Tricky one for me this as I think Calzaghe was a good fighter and doesn't deserve the stick he gets on here but Tiger was a real favourite of mine.
            Tiger had a spotty record but on his day was a fight for anyone, for my money the best Tiger would beat Calzaghe.

Comment

Working...
            X