Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe size does matter; pacquiao's lawyer requests 145 catchweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe size does matter; pacquiao's lawyer requests 145 catchweight?

hello guys, I found this article on fight hype and I think we should discuss it...

MAYBE SIZE DOES MATTER; PACQUIAO'S LAWYER REQUESTS 145 CATCHWEIGHT?
    By Ben Thompson | January 12, 2010

Despite trainer Freddie Roach and promoter Bob Arum declaring no need for a catchweight in Manny Pacquiao's upcoming March 13th welterweight title defense against Joshua Clottey, apparently there's been a change of plans. According to Pacquiao's lawyer, Jeng Gacal, the WBO champion will indeed request his challenger to meet him at a weight south of the 147-pound limit. "We will push for the 145 [lbs.] catchweight," he would tell ABS-CBN as he revealed the deal is virtually done except for the matter of the weight.

This latest news is in direct contradiction to what nearly everyone else in Team Pacquiao has been stating. Speaking to FightHype's own OnTheGrind Boxing Team, trainer Freddie Roach originally revealed that the fight would "be at 147" and "there's no catchweight." Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum confirmed the news, stating "there's going to be no catchweight on this one." Even Pacquiao's advisor, Michael Koncz, would change his story, first saying that there was a catchweight of 144 pounds only to correct himself later stating there was no catchweight after all. Either Pacquiao's lawyer didn't get the memo or he is indeed asking for Clottey to suck down in weight as Gacal made a point to remind everyone that Clottey, like Cotto, is naturally bigger.

In all fairness to Pacquiao, Clottey is the naturally bigger man. Of course, in all fairness to Clottey, the man already has a hard time making weight and hasn't seen 145 in nearly 4 years. That being said, Clottey would likely oblige the pound-for-pound champion if he does indeed want the fight to take place at 145 pounds. After all, this will be Clottey's biggest payday ever, so rest assured, he'd cut off whatever limb is necessary in order to make the weight. Hopefully, this is just a case of bad communication and Gacal is the only one who's not on the right page.

What are you guys thoughts about this? I know that Roach and Arum and Clottey's people said it would be at 147, and that was mentioned in the article, but why would his lawyer come out and echoed what his advisor did a few days ago? Hopefully, this makes for good discussion.

already posted.

Comment

145...Joshua Clottey?? I don't think so. Not happening.

Comment

If this fight is anything less then 147..then its just as bad as Nate Campbell.

Comment

another catchweight get the fck outta here

Comment

my bad I did not know that this was already posted on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              145...Joshua Clottey?? I don't think so. Not happening.
              This will be Clotteys first mega pay day, im sure he will try and risk it.

Comment

I thought this was ironed out?

Another conflicting report concerning this weight?

I'm fed up with Pac and Floyd right now.

Comment

I think it is too late to cancel this fight, the best the team can offer for Clottey to accept catchweight is to increase his percentage.

Comment

What a bunch of goddamn cowards...

Comment

Working...
                    X