No announcement yet.

Was Julio Cesar Chavez overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimate

I for one believe Chavez was past his prime.

Chavez was the favorite going into the fight, even though he was fighting at 147. I believe during 87-90 Chavez was in his prime and would've beat Whitaker. Whitaker was dropped and hurt by lesser fighters. Again, IMO I believe Whitaker caught Chavez at the right time.

Did I mention I'm a fan of both men and got pissed when they stoled the fight from Whitaker?

Btw, I was at Boxrec and looked at Duran's Lightweight record. I'm thinking about starting a Duran overrated thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetScience
      I for one believe Chavez was past his prime.

Chavez was the favorite going into the fight, even though he was fighting at 147. I believe during 87-90 Chavez was in his prime and would've beat Whitaker. Whitaker was dropped and hurt by lesser fighters. Again, IMO I believe Whitaker caught Chavez at the right time.

Did I mention I'm a fan of both men and got pissed when they stoled the fight from Whitaker?

Btw, I was at Boxrec and looked at Duran's Lightweight record. I'm thinking about starting a Duran overrated thread.

that makes two of us bro.

Comment

If JCC is overrated then all champions are overrated. De la Hoya is overrated, trinidad is overrated, MAB is overrated, EM is overrated, Ali is overrated, Leonard is overrated...etc...bal bla bla...

Comment

Originally posted by .::|ULTIMATE|::.
          If you cant see that Chavez was not in his prime and out of his prime shape then you clearly dont wanna see the truth. His conditioning and true passion for the sport wasnt there anymore. He was technically sound and thats what got him through the rest of his career post taylor fight. But he wasnt the same person or fighter.

Chavez fought more grueling battles, over longer periods of time, Threw and received more punches, got tagged to body countless more times, even low blowed and on the hip countless times, against heavier hitters and quicker fighters. did you ever see him winded and tired then like u did in that fight against Sweet Pea?
          no never seen him like that but I also never seen him lose every round in a fight, that's very frustrating thing, a very good reason to lose some will, if you see that no matter what you do the other guy has an answer (pit pat, roll step back pit roll pat... pit pat... look like a damn eel which you cannot hit flush ... unnerving)

Comment

Chavez isn't overrated. He was awesome, man. He was a great fighter who earned his reputation. Sweet Pea was cool as hell, too. They are both definitely two of my alltime favorite boxers.

Comment

Chavez was a great fighter a legend if anything he was underrated in boxing at the time. Ppl can argue about the taylor fight oh it shouldnt have been stopped. It was a legit stoppage. We should be praising Chavez for pulling a victory outta the hat like that.
              On regards De la hoya chavez was passed his best and de la hoya came in pretty heavy just like he did against Gatti, thats the benifit of weighing in 3 days earlier.
              Old school fighter, fought hard and often against great fighters and not so great fighters. Give the guy a break.

Comment

Originally posted by kadyo
                If JCC is overrated then all champions are overrated. De la Hoya is overrated, trinidad is overrated, MAB is overrated, EM is overrated, Ali is overrated, Leonard is overrated...etc...bal bla bla...
                But the guys you mentioned beat better fighters than Chavez.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
                  But the guys you mentioned beat better fighters than Chavez.
                  My God, Chavez is ranked ahead of them. You know nothing about boxing kid, Hamed fans are a cancer.

*EDIT Didn't see my boy Leonard and Ali, those guys are on a different planet. The rest Chavez is better. I will start my Hamed underrated thread tomorrow. Peace
                  Last edited by SweetScience; 01-27-2005, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetScience
                    Chavez is a top 50 fighter easily. Overrated? That's funny.
                    I think he is top ten easy!!He fought the best and beat the best in an era when fighters actually went to fight.Now we have a lot of pretty boys running around.

Comment

i think his long unbeaten was great. how many fighters can do that eventhough the fighters might be bums but still give him credit because not many fighters can do that. a lot of current champs have loss to bums and there on p4p list.

Comment

Working...
                      X