Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Khan didn't intentionally want to stand toe to toe with Madaina........(frightening)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khan didn't intentionally want to stand toe to toe with Madaina........(frightening)

His game plan was to box and make Madaina miss. But Madaina's will and strength made Khan fight Madaina's fight. This is worrying for Khan because he was not in control for large parts of the fight. He may have been edging rounds, but he was fighting Madaina's fight unintentionally.

Although he has great physical attributes, i think he lacks a boxing brain. He may be saying now he wanted his chin tested, but that is a load of bull****. No fighter would risk getting knocked out at this stage of their careers, and Khan is one of them.

He has a lot of heart, but just seems his boxing brain is a little dense. This is why i just cant see him unifying the titles at 140.

he won the fight but his ring generalship was really poor, Maidana pretty much dictated the fight for a lot of the rounds and was landing some serious shots.

Comment

Maidana is very good at making his opponent fight his kind of fight

Comment

it would be foolish to stand toe to toe w/ a devastating puncher.

i'm a neutral fan of the two but i thought khan won very clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishy Aytan View Post
          His game plan was to box and make Madaina miss. But Madaina's will and strength made Khan fight Madaina's fight. This is worrying for Khan because he was not in control for large parts of the fight. He may have been edging rounds, but he was fighting Madaina's fight unintentionally.

Although he has great physical attributes, i think he lacks a boxing brain. He may be saying now he wanted his chin tested, but that is a load of bull****. No fighter would risk getting knocked out at this stage of their careers, and Khan is one of them.

He has a lot of heart, but just seems his boxing brain is a little dense. This is why i just cant see him unifying the titles at 140.
          I agree, and I said this all along, while others claimed his ring IQ to be very high (just based on the way he precision-boxed a threatless Paulie, I guess). I don't think that he was drawn into a fight with Maidana voluntarily, though, out of a wish to show he can take shots.

I predicted a very positive outcome for Khan, though, for the sake of positive thinking itself. But the shortcomings I felt were there showed up.

However, Amir showed a lot of quality in fortitudinal departments, quality I believed was there but that others doubted...so I'm ultimately happy with his performance.

I had a 10-8 round for each man, disregarded the point deduction in my personal scoring and had the fight two ways - one being 7-5 for Amir and the other being 6-6. He didn't deserve to lose the fight, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishy Aytan View Post

khan wastes too much energy and khan needs an inside game.

Comment

If you read his interviews before the fight it was Khan's idea to stand toe to toe with Maidana. He wanted to be more aggressive and he was.

Comment

Originally posted by timba View Post
                If you read his interviews before the fight it was Khan's idea to stand toe to toe with Maidana. He wanted to be more aggressive and he was.
                I don't put that much stock in what people say before a fight, especially if it doesn't show up in what eventually happens. Amir is always aggressive, but from the outside, and he used a lot of movement in the fight as usual.

He didn't really "stand and fight" for the most part, he made a movement-based gameplan work effectively for large spells (with some intermittent tough spots) until the Championship rounds, when Maidana came on strong and forced the issue. When Khan was "standing" is when he was coming off worse in the fight; Maidana mauled him inside and Khan didn't really fight there.

Anyway, it was an inspiring performance, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by MACAQUEINBLACK View Post
                  I don't put that much stock in what people say before a fight, especially if it doesn't show up in what eventually happens. Amir is always aggressive, but from the outside, and he used a lot of movement in the fight as usual.

He didn't really "stand and fight" for the most part, he made a movement-based gameplan work effectively for large spells (with some intermittent tough spots) until the Championship rounds, when Maidana came on strong and forced the issue. When Khan was "standing" is when he was coming off worse in the fight; Maidana mauled him inside and Khan didn't really fight there.

Anyway, it was an inspiring performance, regardless.
                  He stood with Maidana much more than he stood with Kotelnik who is a weak puncher. For me, it was obvious Khan's gameplan was to engage with Maidana and trade punches rather than to box and move the whole night. Khan could have won the fight easily behind his jab, but he has to be credited with taking the fight to Maidana (his kryptonite) instead of running the whole evening. He may not have stood toe to toe for the whole matchup, but he traded with Maidana a whole lot more than could be expected from such a weak chinned fighter.

Yeah, it was an inspiring performance, but he needs to improve his defence and stick to boxing at range from now on. Bradley may not have power, but he pressures effectively and throws a lot of punches. Khan can't afford to get into a scrap with him or he will lose rounds. However, I'm confident that if he sticks behind his jab, works the body, and defends his chin, he can beat anybody at 140-147.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                    khan wastes too much energy and khan needs an inside game.
                    Ditto, otherwise he is going to get that fragile chin poped....again.

Comment

Working...
                    X