No announcement yet.

Bert Sugar RIP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert Sugar RIP

In full disclosure, I didn't like Bert Sugar very much. I always felt he was a self serving windbag. But he was a great fan of the sport and he probably helped bridge the gap from curious to serious for many fans. The boxing world mourns his loss.

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    In full disclosure, I didn't like Bert Sugar very much. I always felt he was a self serving windbag. But he was a great fan of the sport and he probably helped bridge the gap from curious to serious for many fans. The boxing world mourns his loss.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of Sugar mainly because of his sometimes outlandish comments and ratings. But he was a high profile boxing fan who obviously invested a lot of time into it. He definitely brought a lot of good things to the sport. Whether you agreed or disagreed with him he got people talking about boxing.

Comment

A colourful guy and a huge boxing fan. I enjoyed listening to him.

He seemed to have been around the game forever, so sad (though hardly a surprise!) that lung cancer took him.

Rest in peace and many condolences to his family.

Comment

RIP Sug'

Comment

I didn't always agree with what he said but that's the nature of boxing and boxing fans. Whether it was his years running the old Ring magazine or Boxing Illustrated, the many boxing books he wrote or his tv shows and appearances, Bert Randolph Sugar was part of boxing and boxing was a part of him. He will be missed.

May he R.I.P.

Comment

RIP

He made a lot of dubious statements, one of my favourites was that Carnera would beat both Klitschkos on the same night, but the knowledge was there. How he came to some of his conclusions, we'll never know now.

But I'm still sad to hear that he's passed away.

Comment

R.I.P Bert.

I wasn't a fan of him and disagreed with a lot of what he said but he's an icon and a figure in the sport and it's sad he's passed away.

Can't believe he was only in his 70's.

Glad that I was able to meet and talk with him.

R.I.P.

Comment

i won't deny that I found him a bit annoying but he was a great patron of the sport RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Boxing Gob
                  Bert Sugar was an incredibly knowledgable man on the sport of boxing. many who frequent this forum have repeatedly slandered Bert Sugar for some years making claims that Bert knew nothing about the sport and that they themselves knew everything about the sport, fools that they are they was as always Wrong. Bert Sugar as one member has posted here claimed Primo Carnera would beat both Klitschko brothers and that member laughs and disagrees. IMO Bert was 100% correct. i am a fan of both Klitschkos and feel they are great for this sport yet i feel Carnera would have KOd both of them fairly easily, which is what Bert Sugar claimed. yet who are the fools Bert Sugar and myself who have the same theory or the Haters on this forum like Scott, Joseph & JAB who make laughable claims like Lennox Lewis is the greatest of all times, that Lewis would beat Muhammad Ali & George Foreman, that Lewis would beat a prime Mike Tyson? Bert Sugar has forgotten more about boxing than those three jumping-jacks will ever know... reading their comments today on Bert Sugar reminds me of the similar comments they made about Joe Frazier, Ray Robinson, Willie Pep, Jack Dempsey, Gene Tunney, Stanley Ketchel, Thomas Hearns, Mike Tyson and many more ATGs, yet they trumpet how great Lennox Lewis, David Tua, Hasim Rahman and Tommy Morrison are and have the audacity to trash Bert Sugar.

R.I.P. Bert
                  (For whom the bell tolls)
                  I agree about Scott Joseph and JAB, they ruin this section like no-one else.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
                    i won't deny that I found him a bit annoying but he was a great patron of the sport RIP
                    I agree 100%. RIP Bert. Thanks for caring about boxing!

Comment

Working...
                    X