No announcement yet.

Curiosity makes a discover "for the history books"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    Fairly disappointed in you Piggy. The news is historically the worst source of scientific information of all time. I mean seriously... Their job description is basically "Paid misunderstanders of scientific methods, observations, and data".

I mean really. Do I need to remind you about the whole "Neutrinos break the speed of light" fiasco? I mean the original report by the scientists basically said. We suspect there is a flaw somewhere in our experiment, PLEASE SOMEONE HELP US FIND IT!

News took that, ran with it! EINSTEIN PROVEN WRONG!!!!! LIGHT SPEED NO LONGER FASTEST!!!!!! etc...

Then we have all the studies about... well... everything... that have be misrepresented by the news. I mean if we go by the news, I am sure that Chocolate and Wine are the cure for just about every disease on the planet...
    I got the information from the James Randi Foundation forum. The MSNBC was the link posted in that thread. This is a bit of fun speculation. The article itself said that they were not announcing anything for three weeks.

For the record my first thought about it was that they were going to announce the discovery of some sort of organic chemical residue. I was not expecting little green men.

NPR, Huffington Post and MSNBC. Certainly explains your myopic (and distorted) view of American politics
    I wasn't so myopic and distorted as to think that Mitt Romney was going to get elected. So that's got me one up on you.

I don't read HuffPo in general as it's more like a series of blogs than a reliable source of information, the only reason MSNBC was involved at all was as explained above it was linked to on the forum I found the information, and I don't know what NPR is.

I just find it illustrative that instead of actually looking at the claim and discussing it you instantly revert to your reactionary tribalism that infects every post you make and said "Ugh ugh MSNBC bad. Me eat liberal. Ugh."

At least Shawn was discussing the topic.

Comment

This could indeed by a case of "scientist enthuses, journalist happens to be in the room" but I think the whole mission is something to get excited about. I mean this is the kind of endeavour that really brings out the best in humanity. A voyage of pure discovery with nobody trying to make a buck and nobody getting killed.

Comment

Well we know that Jim Jeffries is still pissed about Obama winning. You gotta hold some type of grudge to start "calling out" people's sources when there are a ton of other ones reporting the same exact thing

Comment

*****ing about a scientific news article and where it came from?

Really...............

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            I got the information from the James Randi Foundation forum. The MSNBC was the link posted in that thread. This is a bit of fun speculation. The article itself said that they were not announcing anything for three weeks.

For the record my first thought about it was that they were going to announce the discovery of some sort of organic chemical residue. I was not expecting little green men.

I wasn't so myopic and distorted as to think that Mitt Romney was going to get elected. So that's got me one up on you.

I don't read HuffPo in general as it's more like a series of blogs than a reliable source of information, the only reason MSNBC was involved at all was as explained above it was linked to on the forum I found the information, and I don't know what NPR is.

I just find it illustrative that instead of actually looking at the claim and discussing it you instantly revert to your reactionary tribalism that infects every post you make and said "Ugh ugh MSNBC bad. Me eat liberal. Ugh."

At least Shawn was discussing the topic.
            NPR is biased to the point of making Foxnews and MSNBC look like non-partisan sources of information.

The discovery of organic residues would not really be a discovery "for the history books" in the sensational way they are portraying.

I mean organic in a scientific context just means that it is a molecule that contains carbon. Jupiter's moon Titan contains probably more organic compounds that the entirety of the earth... doesn't have the existence of life, life once existing.

Similarly, the discovery of water, or evidence of past water would not be particularly notable either. Its expected. I mean especially considering that we already have already discovered water on mars with the Phoenix lander.

So we are left with two possibilities. Live organisms, or media sensationalism of a minor, insignificant confirmation of existing theory.

I would go with the latter, and you should have as well.

Comment

This could indeed by a case of "scientist enthuses, journalist happens to be in the room" but I think the whole mission is something to get excited about. I mean this is the kind of endeavour that really brings out the best in humanity. A voyage of pure discovery with nobody trying to make a buck and nobody getting killed.
              I agree, I love this kind of stuff. I am actually more pissed at Obama for cutting funding to Nasa, and canceling the moon mission that just about any other thing he has done. *(&@)#*(&$)(@*#$****ing c*nt muffin!!!!!

Curiosity is an exciting mission, and we are going to learn lots of new things. The fact bout science though is usually, it is slow, it takes small steps forward, and any claims of large leaps, or massive discoveries are usually baseless.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                Hopefully it's something really big. Like a reptilian race, that came from Planet Niburu, was found.
                The Anunnaki are coming for us man....

See this tablet from the ancient Sumerians (2500 B.C.) -

The right star is their symbol for Mars (6th planet), and the the left side is their symbol for Earth (7th planet and moon) - and the fish symbol is the age of Pisces (60 B.C. to A.D. 2100)

All this according to Sitchin who is obviously completely full of ****, (or is he)......

Comment

organizations both private and public are getting paid over this one. people, too. some of these guys are making bank.

they might not be mining gold on mars, but there's money being made here by somebody. capitalism, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                    Well we know that Jim Jeffries is still pissed about Obama winning. You gotta hold some type of grudge to start "calling out" people's sources when there are a ton of other ones reporting the same exact thing
                    Yes of course, just like you "knew" that lawfully armed citizens should've been able to prevent the Colorado theater massacre, despite having taken place in a Gun-Free Zone. This is Squeelpiggy we're talking about, the guy who always questions the source. I found it hypocritical, can we move on?

I agree with !Shawn. This is probably just another bit of journalistic sensationalism that "confirms" something we already knew or were quite confident about, with a little suspense thrown in for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
                      Yes of course, just like you "knew" that lawfully armed citizens should've been able to prevent the Colorado theater massacre, despite having taken place in a Gun-Free Zone. This is Squeelpiggy we're talking about, the guy who always questions the source. I found it hypocritical, can we move on?

I agree with !Shawn. This is probably just another bit of journalistic sensationalism that "confirms" something we already knew or were quite confident about, with a little suspense thrown in for good measure.
                      The source claims that an announcement would be made in three weeks and that something exciting has been discovered by Curiosity. I make no claims, I only make an invitation to speculate. For the fun of it.

If I was making a claim then sure, I would expect to be called out on not checking the source. I wasn't, I was relaying a snippet of news that hadn't yet been brought to boxingscene.

Comment

Working...
                      X