No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder back Sep-Oct

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
    Only Ortiz should have claim to that mandatory shot. Oquendo hasn't fought in nearly three years and Ustinov been fighting dudes with double digit losses...since Ortiz is not with Golden Boy, Ustinov should try to get a fight with him but I've heard nothing about it.
    Oquendo is legally owed a chance at the WBA title, due to some court win I think. Likely the biggest hangup.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Because Whyte is in the UK, on Matchroom bill featuring a heavyweight Championship fight for less money than Wilder believes the fight to be worth (Whyte has likely offered to come fight in the US, but the actual fight isn't all that meaningful here for the level that Whyte is at).

With the timing of the fight being what it is (and football on the cusp of taking off), the late September date likely means a fight night in Brooklyn (with Anthony Joshua also set to be coming back at around the same time, if Klitschko backs out and Pulev gets his mandatory defense in Cardiff).

Thrown in Joseph Parker fighting Huey Fury at around the same time (he stuck with the Duco Events partner who wasn't working with Top Rank), you've got the potential for an interesting set of business to be done (don't forget that Oquendo/Ustinov/Ortiz all have some claim to the WBA mandatory shot).
      But he could still do the same if he fights white instead? I rate whyte and breazeale on the same level. Why should he fight breazeale for 1/4 or 1/5 of what he could earn against whyte?

Also a fight against whyte has much bigger upside for him. Fight in the UK, get more exposure, maximise revenue against Joshua. Whyte is also a loudmouth and good at selling a fight.

The fight with breazeale, while rated on the same level as against whyte, does not bring wilder any further. There is less demand for this fight and breazeale is rather softspoken. The fight will probably not interest many casuals.

And I'm not sure if Parker vs wilder is a big money fight? Arum himself said unification fights are too expensive. The money for heavyweight is in the UK and every hw should try to get exposure there.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaCamNZ View Post
        Can't see the logic behind this. If you're going to fight someone other than Stiverne, why choose Breazeale when a Whyte fight (which isn't any riskier than a Breeazeale fight) would be bring in a paycheck worth three to four times as much, and significantly more exposure to the UK market?

I hear people claiming that Wilder thinks a fight against Whyte should be worth even more, yet this flies in the face of Wilder coming out and calling Whyte a damn bum. If Whyte is a bum, what does that make everyone else Wilder has fought? Bum crumbs?

Haymon and Wilder desperately need to get their heads checked, because they're seriously selling Wilder's career well short of what it could have been.

There are contradictions and stupidity all over the show - and all roads lead to another Wilder disappointment. Surprised? No.
        Not surprised one bit.

Like I mentioned before, with the Stiverne fight possibly out of the cards, why not pursue the fight against Whyte? Parker has a fight lined up and so does Joshua.

Seems to me that Wilder is okay fighting "voluntaries after voluntaries" in my virtual Bob Arum voice

Comment

Originally posted by NahMean View Post
          Source?....
          The Punch In Show

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
            WBC still rated him as #1 despite nearly dying against Rossy and then being hella inactive... I don't expect anything to change here TBH
            Dude tested positive for some **** before Povetkin fight too
            This is one of the reasons why some people hate the WBC and say that it stands for We Be Crooks

They allow certain fighters to have a lot of breaks and it's looking like Wilder is one of them

He may face Breazeale in September and they could still have Stiverne as the #1 guy, while Wlad, Pulev, Ortiz, and Whyte who are behind Stiverne in the rankings not even get an ounce of consideration to fight Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
              Not surprised one bit.

Like I mentioned before, with the Stiverne fight possibly out of the cards, why not pursue the fight against Whyte? Parker has a fight lined up and so does Joshua.

Seems to me that Wilder is okay fighting "voluntaries after voluntaries" in my virtual Bob Arum voice
              Absolutely, the whole thing reeks of Wilder being comfortable doing what he's doing and not being willing to step up.

It takes a certain level of insanity to walk away from millions of dollars, while claiming that he deserves even more than that, for fighting a guy that he himself claims is a bum. It's all backwards and stupid.

Maybe we need to be resigned to the fact that Wilder is who he is, and expecting anything more from him is a waste of everyone's time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                Oquendo is legally owed a chance at the WBA title, due to some court win I think. Likely the biggest hangup.
                That all stems back to that "tournament" that was supposed to happen so that there would be one WBA world heavyweight champion. Only one fight in that bracket happened - Browne vs. Chagaev - and that fight is questionable because Browne tested positive for an illegal substance after the result. Oquendo was supposed to face the winner of that fight.

Now here we are a year after the tournament was announced and Oquendo still hasn't fought anyone...not even a stay busy fight

Comment

WBC! Wilder Be Conquering.

Comment

Lmao. Wilder ducking Whyte. He had an excuse against Stiverne, but seriously... Dominic?

Paper champion afraid to take any real challenges.

Comment

Turns down 5mil from hearn to fight breazele.

Comment

Working...
                      X