Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does Mike Tyson rank on all-time best HW's list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does Mike Tyson rank on all-time best HW's list?

Everybody talks of him as being one of the greatest but I think he was/is overrated. His best win was, what, Spinks? who wasn't a true HW to begin with and was at the end of his career. He beat Holmes, but Holmes was way past his prime. Sure he looked good KOing 2nd rate or past their prime fighters, but every time he fought 1st rate opponents he lost(Holyfield, Lewis) and even Douglas exposed him.
    He was a controversial figure and a product of the Don King hype machine but i don't think he would make top 15 or even 20 on my list.

I think Holmes was still a very useful fighter & a win over a prime, undefeated Tony Tucker has to count for something. Berbick & Bruno are pretty good wins and he destroyed both guys.

Probably just inside the top 25

I think hes more of a could of, should of, would of fighter.

Comment

Ability wise, he is candidate for the greatest, but if you are going to downgrade him for his actual resume he should be bordering top 10.

How he beat who he beat must be taken into account and the reputation he had when he was prime. Didnt Douglas have a long count, and i dont think Tysons head was in the right place when he fought Douglas? He destroyed Frank Bruno 2 times and once when coming out of incarceration. Yes the same Bruno who nearly ko'ed Lennox Lewis. He beat Tyrell Biggs and tyrell said Tyson was just about the best he fought. And who did Tyrell fight again, yes that man Lennox Lewis.
      Tyson destroyed everyone, and that must count for something, and it does.
      Last edited by hugh grant; 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
        Ability wise, he is candidate for the greatest, but if you are going to downgrade him for his actual resume he should be bordering top 10.

How he beat who he beat must be taken into account and the reputation he had when he was prime. He destroyed Frank Bruno 2 times and once when coming out of incarceration. Yes the same Bruno who nearly ko'ed Lennox Lewis. He beat Tyrell Biggs and tyrell said Tyson was just about the best he fought. And who did Tyrell fight again, yes that man Lennox Lewis.
        You should know triangle theories don't work. Tyson lost to Holyfield but Lewis beat him quite easily.

Comment

Tyson doesn't rank very high, because he messed up his career early on. But, when comparing how he would have done prime for prime against other ATG HW champions, he ranks up there at the top with Muhammad Ali. No doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            You should know triangle theories don't work. Tyson lost to Holyfield but Lewis beat him quite easily.
            Tyson has never lost to either Holyfield or Lennox Lewis, theonly fight Tyson lost was the controversial one to Douglas, the long count one. The fights didnt happen as Tyson went to prison if you forgot. Dont talk to me about past prime Tyson coming out of jail who wasnt what he was.

Yes Lewis beat a old holyfield as well. I have no problem with Lennox being above Tyson, but i dont think people can write Tysons career off totally. You got to talk about prime and in his prime Tyson is top 10 whatever you think of the resume.
            Last edited by hugh grant; 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
              Tyson has never lost to either Holyfield or Lennox Lewis. The fights didnt happen as Tyson went to prison if you forgot. Dont talk to me about past prime Tyson coming out of jail who wasnt what he was.

Yes Lewis beat a old holyfield as well.
              So it's alright to compare prime Tyson vs pre-prime Lewis? Lewis became a much better fighter than he was against Biggs and Bruno.

Comment

funny thing is i just hit my co worker with the question of "who is mike tysons best win" and he thought about it and said "damn thats a goos question"

then i get on here n see this! he was great but...

Comment

As i said, prime Tyson's best wins are LHW Spinks at the end of his career and past his prime Holmes and that isn't much. Also, prime Tyson lost to Douglas by KO. He looked great against 2nd rate opposition and that's why people overrate him.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                    So it's alright to compare prime Tyson vs pre-prime Lewis? Lewis became a much better fighter than he was against Biggs and Bruno. .
                    Yes you can argue that LL became better after beating bruno, and of course i take that into consideration, and i take into consideration Tyrell wasnt the same after losing to Tyson, and i do have LL above Tyson as i said. But Tyson still made mince meat of Bruno coming out of jail and Tyson surely wasnt in his prime when doing so.

Comment

Working...
                    X