Can Fedor make it back...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Fedor make it back...

Into the big time or is he done?

Does he need to get down to 205 or what?

Genuinely I want to know as I've followed him for years & I just don't know. I have no idea where he is at.

I think he's had more bad luck than been exposed or is washed up.

Am I wrong in thinking he very likely crucifies anybody at 205 except Jones & inc Hendo in a rematch? Could still be competitive at HW?

Please, lets not troll and trash a legit ATG, serious answers only.

I don't expect many to agree but I think when he went uber religious he lost it, said it before his losses he seemed even more relaxed and had no killer extinct & his stand up became ridiculously predictable.

Nobody knows the answer.

But, he really has not slipped as far as people make it out.

It is a common thing in the prize fighting profession, that once a guy is knocked off of his pedestal he has difficulty.

A few tune-up fights are necessary at this stage, and then we will see. Fedor is a tremendous fighter, and he remains an absolutely tremendous athlete. Don't let the detractors say anything different, but he is at a career low point, anyone can see that. The fact that he did not look bad in any one of his losses is a cause for possitivity. And, if Fedor came out tomorrow and announced his retirement, I would support him 100% (not saying I think he should). But if he chooses to carry on, I will also support him in that. I think that one of the most difficult things an athlete can experience is to be at the top of the world, to be knocked off, and to then try to climb back up again. In any case, I support Fedor, in sport and in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
      Nobody knows the answer.

But, he really has not slipped as far as people make it out.

It is a common thing in the prize fighting profession, that once a guy is knocked off of his pedestal he has difficulty.

A few tune-up fights are necessary at this stage, and then we will see. Fedor is a tremendous fighter, and he remains an absolutely tremendous athlete. Don't let the detractors say anything different, but he is at a career low point, anyone can see that. The fact that he did not look bad in any one of his losses is a cause for possitivity. And, if Fedor came out tomorrow and announced his retirement, I would support him 100% (not saying I think he should). But if he chooses to carry on, I will also support him in that. I think that one of the most difficult things an athlete can experience is to be at the top of the world, to be knocked off, and to then try to climb back up again. In any case, I support Fedor, in sport and in life.

Thank you for the post & sticking your neck out. I'm just not really sure, in a way I think he is as good as ever if not better but his confidence has took a huge knock, if that makes sense?

I guess he is trying to regain his confidence but the way he is handled etc confuses the **** out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post
        Thank you for the post & sticking your neck out. I'm just not really sure, in a way I think he is as good as ever if not better but his confidence has took a huge knock, if that makes sense?

I guess he is trying to regain his confidence but the way he is handled etc confuses the **** out of me.
        When you say "the way he is handled", I would ask you to reevaluate.

You have to understand the business side of the fighting game.

You then have to realize that Fedor and his people are only looking out for their perceived interests.

Here is where things become more complex, in part in that a fighter's interests and the interests of his managers or promoters are often non-equatable. However, I personally do not hold a position such as that Fedor's people are fucking him over, again as a matter of my personal perspective.

And also, not signing with Zuffa is a decision which I respect. It isn't because the UFC is bad, but the management is pretty rotten, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by dancovboxer View Post

I think his confidence being shook is only half of the problem. Other fighters respect for his fighting powers has dwindled which has led to them being more relaxed and confident when fighting him.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
            I think his confidence being shook is only half of the problem. Other fighters respect for his fighting powers has dwindled which has led to them being more relaxed and confident when fighting him.
            Let's see what he can do.

he still has his abilities intact.

Comment

..................no

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                Let's see what he can do.

he still has his abilities intact.
                It seems like he wasn't a fan of being called emperor and all the other monickers people came up with for him, so in that regard he's probably somewhat relieved he has lost and all the pressure is off.

However, I think he's too small to compete with modern heavies. The best heavyweights are too big and too skilled. And I don't think there is a case in combat sports history where a Heavyweight moved down in weight and was successful.

Comment

I think he can, he'd still give the top HWs in the UFC a run for their money contrary to what most would like to think.

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
                    It seems like he wasn't a fan of being called emperor and all the other monickers people came up with for him, so in that regard he's probably somewhat relieved he has lost and all the pressure is off.

However, I think he's too small to compete with modern heavies. The best heavyweights are too big and too skilled. And I don't think there is a case in combat sports history where a Heavyweight moved down in weight and was successful.
                    One of the clearest analogies is probably Chris Byrd, and indeed we saw how that turned out (although he attempted to go clear down to LHW). Though he isn't a HW, Anthony Mundine is another example, and his record has been mixed at least. Typically though fighters move up to HW chasing cash, so there are naturally not many instances of fighters moving down from HW, since HW is the marquee division in combat sports.

Oh yeah, there is of course the case of Randy Couture, who moved up and down.

Comment

Working...
                    X