Para's vs Royal Marines

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rgrchris View Post
    I'd love to hear how you figured that one out? Thats complete bs
    Its not actually, theres more SAS than SBS, the SAS get more missions meaning theres a much greater need for them. When ***** goes down like the Iranian embassy its the SAS who are brought in.....And before you say the SBS are only doing Sea missions, that aint the case, they do land missions aswell.

By the way, you're earlier point about SBS being mostly marines is crap too. They once only accepted marines but now you can join from any regiment. Guess they needed some paras in to show the marines how it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by British Pride View Post
      Its not actually, theres more SAS than SBS, the SAS get more missions meaning theres a much greater need for them. When ***** goes down like the Iranian embassy its the SAS who are brought in.....And before you say the SBS are only doing Sea missions, that aint the case, they do land missions aswell.

By the way, you're earlier point about SBS being mostly marines is crap too. They once only accepted marines but now you can join from any regiment. Guess they needed some paras in to show the marines how it was done.
      You think that because the SBS don't get as much publicity, they potentially do far more jobs than the SAS seeing as they have a far wider range of ops open to them. SAS can't do beach assaults, cliff assaults etc. SBS can do these alongside land ops (hence the name amphibious). SBS selection is harder than SAS selection so figure that one into your calculations. And before you say "No it's not" look it up. SBS and SAS selection are exactly the same EXCEPT personnel on SBS selection have further tests to pass to be accepted. The Iranian Embassy is probably the only SF operation you can name. Correct?

And how exactly is that crap? Learn your figures and stop pretending you know everything. SAS is open to Marines, that doesn't mean a greater percentage of them are Marines does it? No, a greater percentage of personnel in the SAS are Para's. Which works exactly the same for the SBS. SBS is open to Para's, that doesn't mean that a greater percentage of them are from the Parachute Regiment. Your thoughts on this are complete BS, you make no sense and you haven't a clue what your talking about.

Originally posted by British Pride View Post
      I Guess they needed some paras in to show the marines how it was done.
      If the SAS is better then why would your beloved Para's even consider selection for the SBS? Para's are an airborne force, there stuck up so none of them bother doing the commando course, what use would they be in the SBS, may as well just join the SAS seeing as they wouldn't be able to handle the water-side ops of the SBS.

Comment

You're talking like the Paras are restricted to airborne assaults only. The Paras landed on the Falklands from landing craft. They didnt need 3 years of rubber ring training to do this either. Pigeonholing them to suit your agenda wont get you anywhere in this debate. Theres more Paras in the Special Forces than any other regiment and its not even close.

#1. Special Forces
        #2. Paras
        #3. Ghurkas
        #4. Marines

The Paras owned them in their own speed march competition a while ago, 2 Paras first, not even a Marine in the top 3. How embarrassing

Stronger, fitter, more well rounded troops and ****in nutjobs to boot.

Comment

Ask someone who's served in both! Plenty of inaccuracies posted here but essentially both are what the brass are now terming them as 'theatre entry' (whatever that means) troops. Both are tasked and rolled differently, one by sea and one by air, when they hit the ground, in their green kit you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. One is Royal Navy and the other is army. Both have arguably the toughest selection courses in the world.

Comment

Try standing in a field and see who shoots you first.

Camparing marines to paras is like comparing pizza to calzoni.

They're both from the same school

Comment

The Royal Marine Commandos are trained to operate in any Theater with 2 weeks notice. The Para's carry out the best soldering but By Sea By Land, it's the Marines who do the business

Comment

As a former Paratrooper (Pathfinder) I have a decent opinion on this matter.

I'm not sure how in this thread it was suggested that you can just join the para's but have to go through selection for the Marines as this is just not true. To be accepted into any form of the Paratroop units you first have to pass the Pre Paratrooper Selection course (P Company).

There are obvious differences but in essence they carry out similar roles (both would disagree though lol), do not forget that Marines originated from Sea based infantry going back before the likes of the battle of Waterloo etc.

That being said the Para's IMO are on the whole more motivated and direct whilst the Marine Commando's are more thoughtful and specific within their battlefield tactic's.

These days there are equally great units within the 'standard' infantry such as the 1st Rifles, this is down to simple experience with these soldiers being 10 x more experienced in battle that the generation before them (such as my generation).

Comment

Good to see you around, Micky.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                    Good to see you around, Micky.
                    Cheers bud, been working abroad and long hours pal. How are you mate?

Comment

Originally posted by MickyHatton View Post
                      Cheers bud, been working abroad and long hours pal. How are you mate?
                      I'm getting by. Work's still shit and all that. But whenever I'm feeling down, I just tell meself things could be worse, I could be David Haye.

Comment

Working...
                      X