No announcement yet.

Training: Neck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training: Neck

I have seen a lot of different things you can do to strengthen the neck.
    What are some good exercises to do for the neck?
    Or what are some good exercises to do to build up taking a punch?

thanks again.

train yourself to not get hit in the first place, there's no real proof that neck exercises will stop you from being KO'd.

Tyson did a few though like a backwards crab thing but on his head instead of his hands and he also did shoulder shrigs with weights. I think i remember seeing duran (or someone else) using their head with the speed ball. Don't know if that would help at all but looked mighty impressive.

Comment

Shrugs can help to thicken the neck. The neck harness works fell to as you can do flexion, extension movements and side flexion, extension movements. Take a band and choke it around something solid then place the other end around your head like a head band, do isometric contractions for 10 sec. rest a minute repeat. do this sideways too. GREAT way to strengthen the neck. If you don't have a band, use your hand.

Yes, taking a punch has a lot to do with confidence and experience. both grow with each time in the ring and usually your tolerance for pain, that is a mental issue.

Rob Pilger
      http://www.boxingperformance.com
      http://www.theultimateboxingworkout.com/fighters.html

Comment

thanks for the advice guys. i think your right about the whole experience thing, but i'll see what I can do.

Comment

As has been said shoulder shrugs help build your neck.

Another simple exercise is laying on the end of a bench, or ring, or anything so that your head is hanging. I lay on my back, and lift my head up and down 25 times. The I look to the left, and then back to the middle 25 times, and then from the right, to the middle 25 times. After that I lay on each side and lift and and down 75 times.

You could also try those little stretch bands that they give out to people after things like phyiscal therapy, and rig it up some how so that when you are moving your head, it gives resistance.

Goodluck.

Comment

Neck Bridges
            Shrugs
            Neck Harness

Comment

just lay with your head hanging off something and lift your big head.

Comment

Look up 'wreslers bridge' and pay very close attention to form (youtube has a good vid, I'll try to find it) . Also you can just lean on a wall with your head, the steeper the angle the harder it is. Also the neck harness (the wrestlers bridge does the same thing but needs no equipment), pushing on your head with your hands.

Comment

Grow a bushy beard. That's how I take punches.

Comment

Working...
                  X