Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a relative new fan to the sport of boxing....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw go watch some damm prime Roy jones i

Comment

I saw someone post about hbo's legendary nights or old beyond the glory documentaries does anyone have any links to watch these i hate the fact these arent on anymore

Comment

lol.. you dont understand all the tactics, you probably dont know 1%. there are world champions that dont understand half of whats going on in there. you learn as long as you are in this sport, its so complex.

i remember hopkins saying (i think after pavlik) hes still learning new things about boxing every day. the idea that some mma fan who doesnt even know the sports history understands all the tactics inside the ropes is laughable.

as for your question there really isnt a crash course to boxing, pick an atg and go through his career. along the way you will probably see him fight other fighters you like just as much or more, check them out too. then move on, either to a diffrent era or division.

it will take years to cover the sports history and even longer to understand everything thats going on at the highest level, but if you are a true boxing fan you will enjoy finding out.

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
          I was always a UFC fan I never liked boxing because I saw it as boring.

But in recent years it has been growing on me. I now see that as long as you know who both the guys are fighting, its a lot less boring. Still boring sometimes, but it helps knowing who the guys are. I understand all the tactics though I am keen on how to box, it just tends to be boring sometimes at the high level, but as I said its growing on me.

There are a whole load of boxers today. Unlike the UFC I probably wont be familiar with all the top current boxers. Its too much information for my brain. I know only the well known fighters.

What I guess I am really trying to say is, I am a casual fan, but I want to be a hardcore fan. But it just seems like theres too much going on with all the different weight classes and IBO IBF WBA so many different orginizations. Hard to keep track.

Also the rich history of boxing seems kind of overbearing. I will never know as much as I want to know it seems. But I am trying to learn.

I started out like this with UFC a total noob and now I know everything. I want to do the same for boxing but where to start?

Can someone hook me up by posting videos that will help break me in. I'm sorry for noob-ness, but I like this sport, and I want to see more.
          boxing is the best sport in the world its all i can say. I started with UFC myself and switched over to boxing when I was 16. The rivalries and skill are immense. Just UFC is shoved in your face all the time, boxing is a quieter sport on the advertising scale, although it does gather more $$$ with big fights.

Comment

Also, there isnt a single MMA fighter with boxing skills enough to even hang with a professional boxer. the skill gap is that wide. UFC fans and commentators will say that, but for example I wouldn't give Junior Dos Santos even 1 rounds with Wlad or Vitali, and these IMO are only average HW's compared to the past.

Comment

Originally posted by killamoneymike View Post
              I was always a UFC fan I never liked boxing because I saw it as boring.

But in recent years it has been growing on me. I now see that as long as you know who both the guys are fighting, its a lot less boring. Still boring sometimes, but it helps knowing who the guys are. I understand all the tactics though I am keen on how to box, it just tends to be boring sometimes at the high level, but as I said its growing on me.

There are a whole load of boxers today. Unlike the UFC I probably wont be familiar with all the top current boxers. Its too much information for my brain. I know only the well known fighters.

What I guess I am really trying to say is, I am a casual fan, but I want to be a hardcore fan. But it just seems like theres too much going on with all the different weight classes and IBO IBF WBA so many different orginizations. Hard to keep track.

Also the rich history of boxing seems kind of overbearing. I will never know as much as I want to know it seems. But I am trying to learn.

I started out like this with UFC a total noob and now I know everything. I want to do the same for boxing but where to start?

Can someone hook me up by posting videos that will help break me in. I'm sorry for noob-ness, but I like this sport, and I want to see more.
              First thing to know it that it is not a "sport" except in the uninformed minds of the fans, who mostly don't know anything anyway. It was only ever a sport in amateur circles, and it likely still is for some, although many today see the smateurs as a stepping stone to becoming pros, to make money at comething they think they can do.

In the old days there were local "bragging rights" and Irish, italians, Jews, Germans etc agasinst one another, a sort of sporting reason, but money was at the bottom of it. Today it's openly gladiatoral contests against one another, with one fighter often knowing he's merely an opponent for the other, but this is his job, for which he is paid, to provide a spectacle of blood and guts for the edification of the Roman arena-like mob, who pay to see it happen. These fighters are paid far too little, and the top fighters are paid far, far too much.

I've always understood why Howard Cosell, at the height of his fame, walked away from boxing abruptly in disgust. If it was my living, and I had another source of income, I would do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
              X