No announcement yet.

The 10 levels of Professional Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 10 levels of Professional Boxing

This is my opinion of the different levels or hierarchy of professional boxing. Starting from beginning professional to all time great living legend. I would like to identify which boxers past present & future are at which level/ point in their career. Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Level 1 - Beginning professional.

5 to 10 fights. This is your omar henrys, matyev korobovs, erislandy laras & shawn porters, rigondeauxs etc.

Level 2 - Tomato Cans.

The no hopers. Chums for beginning professionals. Probably boxing as a part time gig.

Level 3 - Young Prospect
    Past the the beginning stage of their career. ready for the next step. This is your saul alvarez & to a certain extent chavez jr. (at least he's being treated by top rank as such.)

Level 4 - Journey Men
    Good enough not to be labeled as tomato cans but have no future in the sport. This might be your emmanuel augustuses, monte barrets & hector velasquezes.

Level 5 - Shot/Washed up Name

Former contenders, hall of famers who have no business fighting professionally & need to retire asap. These are your erik moraleses, evander holyfields, marco barreras, & sad to say roy jones jr.

Level 6 - Gate Keepers

Done as elite fighters but not done as a good honest pugilistic professional. Get past this bunch you are a serious professional that is ready for the next level. This bunch could include rocky juarez, ricardo mayorga(maybe too high), antonio tarver, glenn johnson, & nate campbells of the world.

Level 7 - Contenders
    Ready for a title shot, a shot at the champions. This your yuriorkis gamboas, urbano antillons, vanes martirosyans, bernabe conceptions, & eddie chambers.

Level 8 - Belt Holder/champion
    This is a very ambiguous level. Sure they are above gate keepers & contenders but with the ubiquitous nature of belts & champions the boxers who reside in this level could also be considered level 7 contenders or even gate keepers. This is everybody with a title or belt.

Level 9 - Elite Fighter Status

This level is what differentiates a true champion with a belt to a ordinary fighter who happens to have a belt. This is your p4p top 10. You dont have to own a belt to be considered elite. This is the shane mosley, paul williams, chad dawson, arthur abrahams & bernard hopkins.

Level 10 - Super Star/ Legend Status

This is a level above elite. You cant be too gracious with this designation. I think only 1 or 2 fighters can be considered in this level each year. Sometimes you go a year without anyone attaining this level. I think this level requires some out of ring attributes. I think you have to transcend the sport. I think You have to galvanize the fans, the media, & non boxing fans to consider yourself for this level. I can only think of 2 fighters currently fighting that fit this criteria: Manny Pacquiao & Floyd Mayweather jr.

What do you think guys? Agree or disagree with the placement of levels or the placement of fighters in the levels? I would be glad to see your opinion.

Lionell Thompson
    Aleem Whitfield
    Shawn Porter
    Tony Brinson

Level 2 - Tomato Cans.

Lorenzo Boyd
    Reggie Strickland
    Jose Vera
    Julio Torres

Level 3 - Young Prospect

Tyson Fury
    Robert Helenius
    Frankie Gavin
    Ronald Hearns

Level 4 - Journey Men

Ross Purity
    Buck Smith
    Marion Wilson
    Kevin McBride

Hector Camacho
    Frans Botha
    Howard Eastman
    Ray Mercer

Level 6 - Gate Keepers

John Ruiz
    Junior Witter
    Carlos Baldomir
    Herbie Hyde

Level 7 - Contenders

Kevin Mitchell
    Alex Povetkin
    Antonio De Marco
    Paulie Malignaggi

Carl Froch
    David Haye
    Andre Berto
    Devon Alexander

Edwin Valero
    Juan Manuel Marquez
    Wladimir Klitschko
    Timothy Bradley

Manny Pacquiao
    Floyd Mayweather

Just thought i'd play with a few names that were different to yours.. I quite like the idea; it's yet another different way of catagorizing boxers, especially fighters who have retired.. It's a bit more difficult with the active ones, cos in some cases they could end up in 3 or 4 different catagories in as many years..

Comment

Sounds right for the most part.

I could switch 5 & 7 or 3 & 4 but that's just because I put some people in those categories on a higher pedestal.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post

Lionell Thompson
        Aleem Whitfield
        Shawn Porter
        Tony Brinson

Level 2 - Tomato Cans.

Lorenzo Boyd
        Reggie Strickland
        Jose Vera
        Julio Torres

Level 3 - Young Prospect

Tyson Fury
        Robert Helenius
        Frankie Gavin
        Ronald Hearns

Level 4 - Journey Men

Ross Purity
        Buck Smith
        Marion Wilson
        Kevin McBride

Hector Camacho
        Frans Botha
        Howard Eastman
        Ray Mercer

Level 6 - Gate Keepers

John Ruiz
        Junior Witter
        Carlos Baldomir
        Herbie Hyde

Level 7 - Contenders

Kevin Mitchell
        Alex Povetkin
        Antonio De Marco
        Paulie Malignaggi

Carl Froch
        David Haye
        Andre Berto
        Devon Alexander

Edwin Valero
        Juan Manuel Marquez
        Wladimir Klitschko
        Timothy Bradley

Manny Pacquiao
        Floyd Mayweather

Just thought i'd play with a few names that were different to yours.. I quite like the idea; it's yet another different way of catagorizing boxers, especially fighters who have retired.. It's a bit more difficult with the active ones, cos in some cases they could end up in 3 or 4 different catagories in as many years..
        Great list.

Originally posted by ADozenArrows View Post
        Sounds right for the most part.

I could switch 5 & 7 or 3 & 4 but that's just because I put some people in those categories on a higher pedestal.
        yea, 3 & 4 i struggled with. I put young prospect because some journey man could be former greats, contenders, champions, with a great resume as oppose to a young contender with 10-15 fights.

Comment

I wouldn't forget the status of 'club fighter', who is usually either a fighter who makes poor promotional choices and doesn't get the opportunities despite skill level, or it might be a journeyman who has had a few opportunities as a contender and exposed badly - after that usually goes back to being a sparring partner for other fighters or returns to 4, 6, and 8 rounders.
          A recent example was Matvey Korobov who fought Jermall Charlo for the (sigh) interim WBC middleweight title but previously had been fighting 6 and 8 round fights.
          Solomon Haumono is another name that comes to mind.
          Be interested to hear from others as to what they believe the definition of a club fighter is.

Comment

Working...
          X