No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin vs. Jacobs: Oleksandr Usyk To Return on Undercard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Against whom? I get that they're trying to build Usyk in the US, but most of the top talent is on the other side of the Atlantic. Can't see too many US fans getting excited when they ain't even heard of the opponent - in fact might even be smartest to match him with a second tier US Heavy like Scott or Washington - hell, they could even roll Thompson out on his zimmer frame.

My preference would definitely be Dorticos or Breidis at Cruiser, but if they're aiming to build him as a star, a one off HW bout is the route to take.
    I think it will be Damir Beljo. That was supposed to be his opponent for last Saturday but Beljo wanted more time to prepare

Comment

Against whom? I get that they're trying to build Usyk in the US, but most of the top talent is on the other side of the Atlantic. Can't see too many US fans getting excited when they ain't even heard of the opponent - in fact might even be smartest to match him with a second tier US Heavy like Scott or Washington - hell, they could even roll Thompson out on his zimmer frame.

My preference would definitely be Dorticos or Breidis at Cruiser, but if they're aiming to build him as a star, a one off HW bout is the route to take.
      Dorticos is unifying with Shumenov then facing the Gassiev Lebedev rematch winner. Briedis is facing Huck for the WBC interm belt almost all the top cruisers are locked up in eliminators and the like.

No Americans knew who Huck or Glowacki were but a good fight is a good fight. The best guy out there available is probably Vlasov and he would also make for an entertaining one.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        I think it will be Damir Beljo. That was supposed to be his opponent for last Saturday but Beljo wanted more time to prepare
        Ah yes, the Monster of Mostar, how could I forget?

I would be underwhelmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
          Dorticos is unifying with Shumenov then facing the Gassiev Lebedev rematch winner. Briedis is facing Huck for the WBC interm belt almost all the top cruisers are locked up in eliminators and the like.

No Americans knew who Huck or Glowacki were but a good fight is a good fight. The best guy out there available is probably Vlasov and he would also make for an entertaining one.
          Mmmm. Yeah forgot about the Dorticos - Shumenov one and Breidis - Huck passed me by somehow. Still think that building Usyks brand would be best accomplished by getting some kind of name in there with him, however past it, but maybe I'm doing the US audience a disservice.

And yeah, I agree, Vlasov would probably be the best available fight, Everyone else (aside from USS which would be a sick joke at this point) of the slightest relevance is tied up. Makabu maybe? At least the guy can bang.

Comment

I think Usyk is going to be a hard sell to the American public.

Although his knockout % is high, he is more of a boxer than a knockout artist or exciting fighter. As a foreign fighter in USA, i believe you need to bring those things. Golovkin sells tickets, Pacquiao was huge and Kovalev does pretty well, and they all bring excitement.

I think it's hard for people to get behind an overseas fighter and make them into a big name unless they're highly entertaining. He is very good though but i think the average "casual" fan won't really appreciate it. Look at Klitschko, he has a high KO%, one of the most dominant HW champs in history and was still considered boring and barely fought in USA and networks had little interest in his fights in all reality.

Also, Cruiserweight doesn't really have the names to propel him.
            Last edited by deathofaclown; 12-20-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Usyk's a good watch, and he can definitely use the exposure on the big stage.

Comment

Originally posted by US Dirk Killer View Post
                Ryan Martin, Usyk... I heard Maybe lee. Makes sense since the st. Patricks day card is the day before. Should put him in there against Willie Monroe since he's a NY guy too
                Lee/Heiland was going to be on the undercard if GGG/Jacobs had fought in December. I'm willing to bet that's still the plan, especially now that the WBC is setting up a MW tournament with both guys.

Eddie Hearn said Loeffler contacted him about Katie Taylor being on the card and he's agreed to it. The night before TR is having a card at the MSG Theater, debuting Mickey Conlan, and Conor McGregor is carrying out the Irish flag for Conlan. I bet he'll do the same for Katie the next night. That might be the opener for the ppv.

Comment

Some people on twitter were saying Steve Cunningham and Olanrewaju Durodola have been contacted.

But I like you're idea of a limited HW and nominate Antonio Tarver for the job.

Comment

It will be GASSIEV and a unification fight as well!!!!! (Just a rumor)

Comment

The guy is very skilled and knows when to pick up the pace to takeout an opponent even if he rather boxes them and school his opponents!

Him vs Cunningham should be next or whatnot!

Good to see him being very active

Comment

Working...
                      X