Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eventually i want to get into boxing, how do i start ????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventually i want to get into boxing, how do i start ????

K guys Im about 5'11", 230 pounds, with about 17 percent body fat, Without any help or EXTREMELY laborous work i can get it down to 11 - 12%. I like to lift, find it fun and all that. The only problem i have is i am ABSOLUTELY horrible at running/cardio. Like I would rather lift 4 hours then do cardio for 1 half hour, im just bad at it, so mainly i stick to the eliptical machine. Now i know boxing is alot of cardio, mixed with other stuff, so this is where you guys come in!!!!

What routine/training should i do for the next 2 - 3 months to get ON MY WAY towards being in boxing shape. I have whey protein, fish oil, and a Multivitamin, same with creatine. So i have all the stuff you should be eating, and if i hunker down i can really control what i eat (especially with a job now), I still need some help though.

Like what program do you suggest some OVERWEIGHT kid (19 years old) to start out with, Im not a complete amateur and like i said, i know a little bit about health/nutrition, Anything im missing that you guys can add ????

Also if im going to get into boxing (with a trainer and everything), Is there anything i can buy/read to help me out so im not a complete idiot walking into the boxing gym ???? Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

p.s. a good workout program for boxers (especially out of shape ones starting easy, and gradually going up), would be an EXTREME amount of help.

Originally posted by duxstar
    K guys Im about 5'11", 230 pounds, with about 17 percent body fat, Without any help or EXTREMELY laborous work i can get it down to 11 - 12%. I like to lift, find it fun and all that. The only problem i have is i am ABSOLUTELY horrible at running/cardio. Like I would rather lift 4 hours then do cardio for 1 half hour, im just bad at it, so mainly i stick to the eliptical machine. Now i know boxing is alot of cardio, mixed with other stuff, so this is where you guys come in!!!!

What routine/training should i do for the next 2 - 3 months to get ON MY WAY towards being in boxing shape. I have whey protein, fish oil, and a Multivitamin, same with creatine. So i have all the stuff you should be eating, and if i hunker down i can really control what i eat (especially with a job now), I still need some help though.

Like what program do you suggest some OVERWEIGHT kid (19 years old) to start out with, Im not a complete amateur and like i said, i know a little bit about health/nutrition, Anything im missing that you guys can add ????

Also if im going to get into boxing (with a trainer and everything), Is there anything i can buy/read to help me out so im not a complete idiot walking into the boxing gym ???? Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

p.s. a good workout program for boxers (especially out of shape ones starting easy, and gradually going up), would be an EXTREME amount of help.

the best exersice to get you ready to box is boxing,

interval training is good for conditioning a fighter but it dont hold a candle to 3 three min. rounds.

start doing that old dance "the twist" it'll get you ready for all the piviting on the balls of your feet you'll be doing to throw punches correctly with max power, believe it or not most of punching is in your feet. that pivit is also the basis for your defence.

if you want a good cardio exersize to show you what boxing will be like: get the ring , get in your stance and skip in a rapid pace tracing a circle in the ring. have someone call out "switch" at which point you skip in the other direction. have them call out switch at random yet increasingly shorter intervales till you hear switch back to back. after doing this for a round your legs should feel like falling off, but you just practiced lateral movement and you should have a greater appresiation for sugar ray lenaord's stamina. now do it again for 3 round or until you vomit.

5'11", 230 pounds, with about 17 percent body fat means you'll be having a hard time with your cario, and the guys you'll be sparring will all be taller than you, they'll all be throwing jabs and overhand rights, learn to constently move your head watch videos of a young mike tyson for an understanding.

if you dont like cardio dont box it wont be fun to you, and if its not fun you'll never learn to do it well.

my advice is have fun, listen to your trainer, save your ego till your sparring(that's the only time it will do you any good),and if you see someone doing something you like ask them about it most people love to help out the new guy.

have fun, good luck
    Last edited by mr.thraz; 10-26-2004, 12:12 PM.

Comment

i use to have problems running but 1 months after i started boxing i love to run now.

Comment

just like the guy said there is nothing that can get you ready to box, no pills, no fish oil. execpt boxing will get you ready to box. Of course you have to do your roadwork, but why wait to get in the gym..

Comment

I have too agree, i dident like runing when i started, cause it was heavy and all of that, but once you get used too it, and gets in useful shape youl probably like it.
          Besides is necessary too get the stamina boxing requires, and its the way too lose fat.

Too lose fat run not fast but long, and in the morning.

Comment

Just get your lazy ass to a boxin gym

Comment

Originally posted by Eken
              Just get your lazy ass to a boxin gym
              Listen too the this man.

Comment

if you want to get into boxing join a boxing club im trying to do the same thing

Comment

fidna gym in your area
                  and go
                  thats it if you really want to box everything will come into play once your in the gym

i start my training monday

Comment

" Just Do It "

Comment

Working...
                    X