Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Protein a Boxer needs daily ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Protein a Boxer needs daily ?

Hi....

As protein is considered important for boxers so I have to ask from you people that how much protein a boxer needs . Your ideas and information would be very useful for me .

Originally posted by petersuang View Post
    Hi....

As protein is considered important for boxers so I have to ask from you people that how much protein a boxer needs . Your ideas and information would be very useful for me .
    It all comes down to your needs and goals. I'm your feel you're weak and doing strength work, then you probably need a little more protein than the average. Protein consumption should always be taken seriously, as it aids in growth and recovery. Somewhere between 0.7-1.2 grams of protein for every pound of bodyweight is a common benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by dctopboots01 View Post
      It all comes down to your needs and goals. I'm your feel you're weak and doing strength work, then you probably need a little more protein than the average. Protein consumption should always be taken seriously, as it aids in growth and recovery. Somewhere between 0.7-1.2 grams of protein for every pound of bodyweight is a common benchmark.

I'm sure the rule was approximately 1 gram for every kilo of body weight not every pound. Unless you are specifically body building.

It'd be tough to plough 170 grams of protein down daily as part of a normal diet for a 12 stone guy doing regular boxing training. Especially when you consider that for example tuna is approximately 1/3 protein......that would amount to over half a kilo of the stuff a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        I'm sure the rule was approximately 1 gram for every kilo of body weight not every pound. Unless you are specifically body building.

It'd be tough to plough 170 grams of protein down daily as part of a normal diet for a 12 stone guy doing regular boxing training. Especially when you consider that for example tuna is approximately 1/3 protein......that would amount to over half a kilo of the stuff a day!
        If that theory was true, a 70kg man would require 70g of protein. Like I said it all realises on your goals and training. But that is too little amount for recovery.

Recent studies by the EU Scientific Sports research have shown:

Until recently the protein requirements of athletes were thought to be similar to those of sedentary people, and athletes were advised that they need only consume the recommended daily amount (RDA) of protein (currently set at 0.8- 1.0g of protein per kg of body weight per day) to maintain proper nitrogen balance. For a 70kg athlete, this would equate to 56-70g per day.

However, research over the past decade has indicated that athletes engaged in intense training actually need to ingest about 1.5-2 times the RDA in order to maintain a positive protein balance(1-5). This equates to 105-140g of protein per day for a 70kg athlete, which is equivalent to three to four medium-sized chicken breasts or 13-20oz of canned tuna per day! There is also evidence that training at altitude imposes an even higher demand for protein – perhaps as much as 2.2g per kg per day(6).

It's really not that hard of expensive to consume this amount of protein. You have to bare in mind how strenouous boxing training actually is. This amount of protein will by no means lead to muscle grow but helps you repair.

Porridge breakfasts, Nuts and Yoghurt snacks, Eggs, Fish and Lean Meats are easy ways to maintain this.

Comment

But of course everyone will have their own views and if it works for someone, it works. No one opinion is better, healthy to consider all views.

Comment

Originally posted by dctopboots01 View Post
            But of course everyone will have their own views and if it works for someone, it works. No one opinion is better, healthy to consider all views.
            I suppose I've only had myself to treat as an experimental rat / gym rat ha ha.

For what its worth, I'm sure I dont consume 150grams of protein a day (I'm just under 11 stone/154 Lbs) and for all my hard training I've not lost weight over the year....and have actually improved performance on the running side of things. If I were eating a lower protein level than necessary I would be losing performance and/or picking up injuries through insufficient repair.

Obviously proteins /amino acids are made when non obvious foods are mashed together in digestion. I might be overlooking that, but I guess some folks might have less efficient digestion or processing of the food they eat.

I don't know, we are all different. But I'd be very tentative about going balls out on protein consumption. 1 gram per pound of body weight seems high.

Comment

Definitely depends on how much & what types of training you're doing, what your diet looks like, e.g if you have a low carb intake, then your protein intake will have to be quite high to protect your lean muscle mass, especially if you're putting in regular strength work.

I'd say the general rule of thumb is 1g per 1lb of body weight, just make sure ot get your protein from as many varied sources as possible: fish, chicken, nuts, non-fat yoghurts, almonds, seeds, as well as shakes, bars if you need them to hit your daily targets.

Comment

Originally posted by holmeslaw View Post
                Definitely depends on how much & what types of training you're doing, what your diet looks like, e.g if you have a low carb intake, then your protein intake will have to be quite high to protect your lean muscle mass, especially if you're putting in regular strength work.

I'd say the general rule of thumb is 1g per 1lb of body weight, just make sure ot get your protein from as many varied sources as possible: fish, chicken, nuts, non-fat yoghurts, almonds, seeds, as well as shakes, bars if you need them to hit your daily targets.
                X2

I think this is accepted in sport today.

Comment

about 15% of your caloric intake should be protien 15% fat and 70% carbs (FOR A BOXER)

so like lets say you have a 2000 calorie diet. then 1400 calories should be carbs 300 calories from protien and 300 calories from fat.

so about 350 grams of carbs, 75 grams of protien and 33 grams of fat.

our bodies run best on carbs and starving your body of carbs while you force it to run on protien is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    about 15% of your caloric intake should be protien 15% fat and 70% carbs (FOR A BOXER)

so like lets say you have a 2000 calorie diet. then 1400 calories should be carbs 300 calories from protien and 300 calories from fat.

so about 350 grams of carbs, 75 grams of protien and 33 grams of fat.

our bodies run best on carbs and starving your body of carbs while you force it to run on protien is stupid.

This would more likely seem to describe my diet. I'm not big on calorie counting, but 75 grams of protein daily would be more likely for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X