No announcement yet.

Victor Ortiz Parts Ways With Trainer Danny Garcia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
    And been the one to stop the fight..... Could've played it as Ortiz is a warrior he wanted to continue but I couldn't let my fighter keep fighting like that or some spiel instead of Ortiz being the one who had to stop it.... Probably would've still been the head man in the corner
    Excellent point. Instead of this fiasco.

Same thing with Margarito. If the corner threw in the towel, most people wouldn't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
      Don't matter, Ortiz is mentally weak, he was losing the psychological warfare in the ring. If anything his new trainer, whoever that may be, should emphasize on strictly making Ortiz a pressure fighter, his boxing abilities are average. When he fights aggressively he gets hit less, it's mostly when he opts to box that his opponents get back in the fight.
      Good point, when he tries to box in the center of the ring he's a sitting duck. It's like he doesn't know what kind of fighter he wants to be in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Panginoon View Post
        By Ed de la Vega, DDS
        PhilBoxing.com
        Tue, 10 Jul 2012

A very reliable source close to Team Ortiz was at our dental offices today for his dental work. He told us that Victor Ortiz, the kid they call “Vicious” in Kansas and Ventura County, California broke off with his trainer, Danny Garcia. Garcia is the brother of Robert Garcia, the trainer of unified super bantamweight champion, Nonito Donaire Jr.

Apparently Ortiz was not too happy about the incident at his corner when he fought and lost via a 9th round TKO to Josesito Lopez of Riverside, CA.

Ortiz was not happy the way Garcia managed the fight and according to our source that directly resulted in the double jaw fracture that Ortiz suffered during that fateful fight at the Staples Center in LA.

Ortiz, we were told, advised Garcia at the end of round four that he felt his jaw was broken.

Garcia however wanted none of that and advised Ortiz to continue to attack Lopez with the hope that he may land a haymaker and KO Lopez. Besides, Garcia felt that Ortiz was leading in the fight so he wanted Ortiz to continue.

However, Ortiz was hit again in round 9 and the fracture in his jaw got worse. A second break occurred making it difficult if not impossible for Ortiz to close his mouth.

It was only then that Garcia finally agreed with Ortiz that the fight be stopped. However, it was Ortiz who told the referee that he can not continue and wanted the fight stopped.

Ortiz it was said is thinking of seeking the service of HOF trainer Freddie Roach but he is concerned about the availability of Roach who trains so many fighters at his gym.

So besides Roach, he is checking out other trainers he could hook up with when he returns to the gym.

Ortiz’ jaw is still wired shut. In a few weeks the doctor will be removing the immobilizing “arch bar” and wires that keeps his jaws together. We were told, the reinforcing metal plate that is held by screws however may stay longer depending on the progress of the healing.

Thereafter, Ortiz can return to eating solid foods again and a few weeks after that, he should be good to return to training.

As for Garcia, it is perhaps time to look for another fighter to train. You see, Ortiz is the only fighter he trains as he works a day job full time. In fact, he works (for Coca-Cola) from early morning to the middle of the afternoon. After his shift is over he rushes to the gym to train Ortiz.
        yOURE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE ME BUT i THINK HE SHOULD SEEK OUT FLOYD SENIOR. HE NEEDS AS DOES DONAIRE SOME LESSON IN DEFENSE. FLOYD SENIOR WILL ALSO GET HIM TO WORK HIS JAB. VICTOR FIGHTS TO NERVOUS BUT A FEW MINOR ADJUSTMENTS AND HE COULD BE A BEAST. cLINCHING ON THE INSIDE TO REST AND TAKE LESS PUNISHMENT IS THE FIRST ONE.

Comment

Anne Wolfe would get his mind straight, i wouldn't be surprised if her "regime" was what got Kikrland injured.
          Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 07-10-2012, 05:15 AM.

Comment

So now the jaw broke in round 4.

By the time Ortiz's next fight rolls around the jaw will have broken in round 1, or his jaw will have been broken during training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
              Anne Wolfe would get his mind straight, i wouldn't be surprised if her "regime" was what got Kikrland injured.
              Prbly that's a shame if she did.

Comment

Originally posted by EMACULATE View Post
                yOURE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE ME BUT i THINK HE SHOULD SEEK OUT FLOYD SENIOR. HE NEEDS AS DOES DONAIRE SOME LESSON IN DEFENSE. FLOYD SENIOR WILL ALSO GET HIM TO WORK HIS JAB. VICTOR FIGHTS TO NERVOUS BUT A FEW MINOR ADJUSTMENTS AND HE COULD BE A BEAST. cLINCHING ON THE INSIDE TO REST AND TAKE LESS PUNISHMENT IS THE FIRST ONE.
                Yeah, because that worked so well for Hatton....

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                  Yeah, because that worked so well for Hatton....
                  agreed, you can't transform a guy like Hatton or Ortiz into a defensive fighter. hell I doubt you could even change them into a Canelo

i think a guy has to be willing to use a defensive-minded style to work with a guy like Floyd Sr, and that isn't a knock on Floyd Sr at all, but you have to have the tools to work with and I don't think Ortiz would give him the tools

Comment

Originally posted by Panginoon View Post
                    That's kinda sad thinking about it, had Ortiz' trainer stopped the fight instead of Ortiz he'd be labeled as a bad ass warrior who wanted to fight on with a broken jaw.
                    Yeah and if you pay attention closely at the time of the stoppage, you can see Victor kinda acting like he was in shock or something, like he was by default trying to pretend that the corner was stopping the fight against his will, even though we all clearly heard Ortiz telling the ref that he couldn't continue.

Hopefully this split (if true) reunites the Garcia family.

Comment

Good stuff. Now let him go to Robert Garcia so it makes for a good next 24/7 hehe. We get to watch some more family feud.

Anyway, I don't think neither one of the Garcia's brothers are good trainers. Someone brought up Margarito and I'll bring up how he couldn't get Rios to make weight or at least get him to move up to a different division.

Comment

Working...
                      X