Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    Ward and Dirrell beat him.

Ward is smarter.

Dirrell doesn't fight directly, he sticks and moves. It would frustrate the hell out of Roy and he'd likely end up over reaching for shots, leaving himself vulnerable.
    are you insane? ward would outbox roy for the full 12 without eating anything?

again are you insane? ward stands no chance, he'd have a tough enough time outboxing roy(i doubt he does it), but to last the distance too? fuk

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      Ward and Dirrell beat him.

Ward is smarter.

Dirrell doesn't fight directly, he sticks and moves. It would frustrate the hell out of Roy and he'd likely end up over reaching for shots, leaving himself vulnerable.
      I agree, Dirrell reminds me of Micheal Nunn and we all know Roy wanted nothing of Nunn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Defututus View Post
        are you insane? ward would outbox roy for the full 12 without eating anything?

again are you insane? ward stands no chance, he'd have a tough enough time outboxing roy(i doubt he does it), but to last the distance too? fuk
        Jones had problem getting rid of top class fighters. 12 rounds with Tarver, Toney, Hopkins so im guessing Ward would be there till the bitter end and would make Jones look human.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          Just got through checking out some throwback Roy Jones and boy was he a treat to watch....honestly when he was in his prime he was the best fighter I've ever seen, not the greatest, but the best

This era has been arguably the deepest that the super middleweight division has ever been....in the last 10 years we have had Sven Ottke, Joe Calzaghe, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler, Carl Froch, Andre Dirrell, Lucian Bute, Anthony Mundine, etc....how do you guys think he would have faired against these guys in his prime
          he would have beaten them all.

He would KO: Ottke, Mikkel Kessler, Carl Froch, Lucian Bute and Anthony Mundine

He would UD: Abraham, Dirrell, Ward

With Ward being his hardest fight with a 116-112 or a 115-113 decision.

He would also beat Glen Johnson fairly easily in his prime..

Comment

• Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
            Jones had problem getting rid of top class fighters. 12 rounds with Tarver, Toney, Hopkins so im guessing Ward would be there till the bitter end and would make Jones look human.
            tarver, hopkins have iron chins you stupid ****

and he hurt both of them, ward can't fight in the inside with roy, he'd eat uppercuts and get destroyed, also as for roy eating headbutts from ward, roy fought hopkins how many headbutts did he eat? the guy moves to fast on his feet and he watches for everything, ward gets wrecked, he doesn't have the chin, and he aint as smart as hopkins, tarver, mccallum, toney etc

wards best chance to survive would be to fight on the outside, and he'd get outboxed there

Comment

• Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
              Ward is better than B-Hop was at that stage of his career.

Not in terms of raw talent, certainly not in terms of speed. Maybe experience

Comment

• Originally posted by res View Post
                Not in terms of raw talent, certainly not in terms of speed. Maybe experience
                He was better in almost every aspect.

Hopkins developed into a hell of a fighter, but when he fought RJJ the first time he was nowhere near the fighter he would become. Current Ward is better than that version of B-Hop by quite a distance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Defututus View Post
                  tarver, hopkins have iron chins you stupid ****

and he hurt both of them, ward can't fight in the inside with roy, he'd eat uppercuts and get destroyed, also as for roy eating headbutts from ward, roy fought hopkins how many headbutts did he eat? the guy moves to fast on his feet and he watches for everything, ward gets wrecked, he doesn't have the chin, and he aint as smart as hopkins, tarver, mccallum, toney etc

wards best chance to survive would be to fight on the outside, and he'd get outboxed there
                  Chill, so what about Toney, Ward ain't smarter than Tarver!!! are you mad! He got outsmarted by Hopkins who in turn would get out fought by Ward.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
                    I agree, Dirrell reminds me of Micheal Nunn and we all know Roy wanted nothing of Nunn.
                    Who has Dirrell fought that would give you an indication of how he would approach a Jones fight?

Comment

• Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                      He was better in almost every aspect.

There is no way Ward was as fast as a 93' Hopkins, I think we can state that definitively. Is Ward more complete overall ? probably.

Last edited by res; 06-04-2012, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X