Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martinez vs Chavez Jr : that 12th round is a problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

call me crazy but i was impressed by chavez in the 12th that's how i thought he should've fought the whole fight .

Comment

Martinez obviously had the fight won but I think he wanted a KO because he had said numerous times before the fight that he would do so. He took some very unnecessary risks in 11 and 12 just to put a stamp on it...he got caught but it didn't stop him...bad knee and all. I doubt he will get himself in that situation again ever with anybody. Had he played it safer for the 2nd 1/2 of the last round Jr would have been laughed out of town. IMO that last round did little to salvage anything for Jr anyways.

I had little interest in this fight because I expected it to go more or less the way it did. I didn't even think Jr would actually go through with it. As it became more evident that he would I became interested only because I wanted to see Martinez expose Jr and silence his clueless fans...I'm not sure the later was accomplished...but I have absolutely no interest now in seeing it again and I can't believe anybody would.

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
        call me crazy but i was impressed by chavez in the 12th that's how i thought he should've fought the whole fight .
        If he had done that during the first rounds, Martinez would have taken him out early.

Comment

It would be weird if the cruiserweight didn't at least get one knock down. That last round did get me out of my chair going crazy, but that last round still doesn't warrant a rematch. Martinez may have gotten a little careless but let's be honest. In the rematch, knowing Martinez's character, I highly doubt Martinez will make that mistake again. And knowing Chavez's character, I highly doubt he's going to change his whole style. Chavez may be able to plod forward and smother his other opponents with his size, but not against a high pace movement fighter like Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
            If he had done that during the first rounds, Martinez would have taken him out early.
            oohh i highly doubt that, martinez hit jr with everthing but the kitchen sink, soon as jr lands on martinez look what happened...........

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
              That fight in my opinion made both guys looked bad.

Going in, everyone knew Martinez was going to roll that kid. I don't think anybody gave Chavez a chance of even going 12. Martinez schooling him was nothing special since everybody expected it. But Chavez wasn't even a LITTLE competitive, so he ended up looking even worse than most people thought he was.

The fact that Martinez almost got KO'd by him is just flat out embarrassing.

I honestly think it was a blow to each guy's reputation. But this is boxing and fans are ******ed so each country probably considers their guy pound for pound number one after it.

good post green k sent..........

Comment

There was a reason Jr didn't open up till the 12th round, He got hit early and it seems he either paid too much respect to Martinez power, He only decide to open up when it seems it was safe to do so, If he didn't have any respect for Martinez's power he would have walk through him and do what he does best.

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
                  oohh i highly doubt that, martinez hit jr with everthing but the kitchen sink, soon as jr lands on martinez look what happened...........
                  Martinez wasn't able to land at 100% because Jr was covering his face during the entire fight. Just let Jr trade with Martínez when the Argentinian is not tired and I'm sure that Martínez would land 3 or 4 punches while Jr is only able to maybe land 1 ... I really believe that Martínez would take Jr out if Jr decides to throw punches like a madman, especially early in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantomas View Post
                    Yeah, it is a big deal because the other top p4ps don´t suffer like this against real fighters/boxers. Jr, Jr isn´t even an athlete.

The context is what it is, top p4ps in their prime aren´t supposed to suffer like this against c fighters.
                    So then Mayweather getting hurt by Corley and Mosley is a big deal.

So then Pacquiao being knocked out by a guy called Singurat is also a big deal.

And last but not least Ward getting knocked down by Darnell Boone is a ****ing big deal.

Right?

Wrong!

Its boxing it happens, move on and as far as Chavez not being an athlete I agree, but when your a Cruiserweight and the guy your facing drops his hands and goes toe to toe with and is 20 pounds smaller you should be knocking that opponent down, especially when you've done **** all in the fight apart from get battered and schooled for 11 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by vacon04 View Post
                      Martinez wasn't able to land at 100% because Jr was covering his face during the entire fight. Just let Jr trade with Martínez when the Argentinian is not tired and I'm sure that Martínez would land 3 or 4 punches while Jr is only able to maybe land 1 ... I really believe that Martínez would take Jr out if Jr decides to throw punches like a madman, especially early in the fight.
                      I noticed how Chavez was trying to clown Martinez about his punching power n the 1st or 2nd round, even though the punches hit Chavez's gloves.

By the end of the fight Chavez was feeling Martinez's power and the fact is Martinez was sitting down on more than 20% of them punches.

In a rematch Chavez would have to be busier and swing more, thus Martinez will probably figure him out in the first then unload a haymaker ala Paul Williams when Chavez is coming in.

The only hing that may stop this is the fact that Chavez is a Cruiserweight.

Theres a guys sig on here that shows a left uppercut landing after some sharp combinations on the inside by Martinez and Chavez backing up. Chavez was hurt at that point in the fight, I was more impressed with how Martinez chin stood up to some bombs from Chavez in the first 11 rounds.

Chavez does have a granite chin though but so did Paul Williams................

Comment

Working...
                      X