No announcement yet.

Good, cheap diet for an AM boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good, cheap diet for an AM boxer?

I'm not too knowledgeable on eating healthy or how I should eat. My family doesn't give two ****s about what I should to eat, and with boxing and school, I don't have time for a job to pay for my own stuff. So I'm looking at what and how I can eat beneficially for a good price instead of overpaying for the pure stuff. Please, no hostility, like I said, I'm un-knowledgeable about this stuff, so excuse me in advance if I come off a bit stupid in this post. I don't know much about like what sort of vitamins, minerals, and all that other stuff that I need.

Any suggestions? Any help is fine.

What's your weight situation? Do you train twice (i.e. morning roadwork, 2-3hours gym at night) a day?

Comment

Quaker oats, good deli cold cuts like turkey breast, chicken breast and ham (I go for low sodium meats if possible), tuna, whole wheat bread, cheerios, fruits, and unsalted mixed nuts. I mainly look for low sodium products due to my blood pressure. But when times were a little tough and I couldn't eat like I wanted to; my diets were simple with simple foods. My list of foods would be similar to this with some other things but I'm sure you get the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by -J- View Post
        Quaker oats, good deli cold cuts like turkey breast, chicken breast and ham (I go for low sodium meats if possible), tuna, whole wheat bread, cheerios, fruits, and unsalted mixed nuts. I mainly look for low sodium products due to my blood pressure. But when times were a little tough and I couldn't eat like I wanted to; my diets were simple with simple foods. My list of foods would be similar to this with some other things but I'm sure you get the gist of it.
        Yeah, thanks man, this is the sort of stuff I'm looking for.

Originally posted by Trick View Post
        What's your weight situation? Do you train twice (i.e. morning roadwork, 2-3hours gym at night) a day?
        I'm 130, working to get back in shape. but I can make 118, maybe 114. I have an ectomorphic bodytype.Right now I'm taking it easy and working my way back up. I'm in the gym only 2-3 days a week at the moment. Road work 2-3 times a week on the days I don't go to the gym. I trying to work my way up to where I can get in the 4-5 times a week with road work at least5 days out of the week also. I just have to get my body to cooperate with my training routine, which is why I need a healthy diet for this sport.

Comment

-J-'s post is really good.

hm.. one thing i can add: enjoy your peanutbutter. Peanutbutter is full of the right fats and proteins u need to build muscle. eat your fruits (and veggies), that'll provide u the immediate energy you'll need and of course vitamins and minerals that you need, especially if you train REALLY hard, you damage your immune system a little, then it's good to have some vitamins and minerals.

have plenty of white meats, some beef if u want, red meats are good for muscle building, lean white meats good for leaner proteins, you need proteins to repair your muscles after training and make them grow stronger. enjoy your brown/multigrain bread and oatmeal especially in the morning, for a good, stable and consistent energy level when you train.

i hope it helps. if you know what it's for, you know what you're missing.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
            -J-'s post is really good.

hm.. one thing i can add: enjoy your peanutbutter. Peanutbutter is full of the right fats and proteins u need to build muscle. eat your fruits (and veggies), that'll provide u the immediate energy you'll need and of course vitamins and minerals that you need, especially if you train REALLY hard, you damage your immune system a little, then it's good to have some vitamins and minerals.

have plenty of white meats, some beef if u want, red meats are good for muscle building, lean white meats good for leaner proteins, you need proteins to repair your muscles after training and make them grow stronger. enjoy your brown/multigrain bread and oatmeal especially in the morning, for a good, stable and consistent energy level when you train.

i hope it helps. if you know what it's for, you know what you're missing.
            Anything I should look for as far as specifics like brands and such? Also, is there a certain time of day that would be more beneficial to eat those different things? Like before a work-out or run, or for breakfast, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
              Anything I should look for as far as specifics like brands and such? Also, is there a certain time of day that would be more beneficial to eat those different things? Like before a work-out or run, or for breakfast, etc?
              umm well i don't follow brands and such that much + you said you eat what your fam buys. but i guess biological stuff is good of course, try not to eat too much processed foods.

when you have breakfast, have complex carbs to have a stable energy level throughout the day, so oatmeal, brown bread, fill your belly with the sustaining energy. That way you can last through the whole day.

before a work-out or a run, i don't really recommend anything, just make sure u don't go in on an empty stomach, make sure u've had something to eat at least 1,5-2 hrs ago and keep drinking throughout the day.

What i like myself, is fresh juice from different fruits, with those juice processors. that really makes me feel good. if you guys have one of those at home, make sure u use it.

Comment

Learning to read ingredients carefully at your local store when selecting brands will save you a lot of money, Including watching what assortments of meat you're eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Coeco View Post
                  Learning to read ingredients carefully at your local store when selecting brands will save you a lot of money, Including watching what assortments of meat you're eating.
                  Well, I don't exactly know what is what. What should I look and watch out for?

Comment

aim for 6 small meals a day-
                    upon waking have porridge with banana and honey on top. make sure the porridge is made with water and not milk as milk slows down your digestion
                    then 3 hours later id suggest a protein bar, if you can afford a box of course. there are budget boxes out there
                    lunch you should either go with poached egg on toast, chicken pasta or jacket potato with tuna (a good balance of protein and carbs)
                    In mid afternoon you should have an apple and handful of peanuts. vitamins and good fats
                    for evening meal you should have tuna, steak or chicken breast with a selection of broccoli, cabbage and carrots. all low carbo veg.
                    and post training have a banana.

obviously you mix it up, and alter it to suit your working patterns and training times. You should also consume 2 litres of water a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X