Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silva interview

from fcfighter.com

Another day in the office for the Axe Murderer:
    PRIDE BUSHIDO takes Silva back to the ring for the first time in 2004!

This next Weekend in Japan, PRIDE BUSHIDO 2 will see Wanderlei Silva stepping in a ring to fight for the first time since he won the PRIDE Middleweight GP, defeating Quinton Jackson in an epic battle for the title. After this win, Silva's popularity skyrocketed in Brazil with numerous TV appearances, and even meetings with members of the government of cities and the likes. Showing that despite all the recent attention he is truly a fighter at his heart, "The Axe Murderer" hasn't changed a bit and continues to be hungry for action and willing to help his younger teammates to reach glory in the land of the rising sun, that brought fame to the most famous Silva in the MMA world. In a brief conversation with FCF few days before his departure to Japan, Wanderlei had some comments on his view of PRIDE's new venture, his next challenges and a bit more, Enjoy!

FCF: You'll be fighting again for the first time after you won the PRIDE Middleweight GP, and your teammates Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Jadyson Costa will be fighting on the same card. Being the PRIDE Middleweight Champion and Middlweight GP Champion, what's your main motivation in going to PRIDE BUSHIDO to face Ikuhisa Minowa?
    WS: The main importance of this fight is to take my teammates to the big show and give them the chance to make their money and show they'll work in Japan. We're willing to win the three fights in BUSHIDO, as we all prepared very well. Shogun, Jadyson and myself are all ready, just waiting for the day of the fights. We're going there and we're going to show that the fighters from our academy always do a good showing! Inclusively, those who want to join Chute Boxe are all welcome. The academy has it doors open, so those who have this dream and have conditions to come to Curitiba even if it's for a small period of time, or a long period of time for that matter, and if someone think he is able to come and do it, our academy is open to new talents. Master [Rudimar Fedrigo] is a very easy to talk to person, so those who want to come to train will be more than welcome.

FCF: I remember when you beat Sakuraba for the second time and won the Pride Middleweight belt, you told me your master told you that you would stay undefeated as a champion for at least 10 years! It has been 2 years already, so there's only 8 to go Wanderlei?
    WS: If God helps me! I always prepare myself to the limit, despite the injuries that happen all the time, cause it's a very demanding sport. I'm always getting injured, but despite that I always fight well prepared, I really train hard and as long as God continues to give me strength and make my body withstand all the effort, I'll keep fighting and I'm only going to stop when I really can't do it anymore.

FCF: Vitor Belfort just became the UFC Light-Heavyweight Champion in an awkward fight against Randy Couture, so there are some talks about a rematch between you and Vitor. Do you think this is going to happen? And what are Wanderlei Silva's plans for 2004?
    WS: I intend to keep fighting in PRIDE this year, and if PRIDE goes to the USA I hope to be able to go and fight, and if I'll have to go and fight against the UFC Champion, it'll be even better! No matter who's the champion. I'll fight Belfort, I'll fight Couture or anyone else that may appear in the meantime. I don't pick opponents, and I'll be well prepared to do a good showing against any opponent that may appear.

FCF: So, the undefeated PRIDE Champion Wanderlei Silva still never pick opponents?
    WS: Without a doubt. People say, "Hey, but he only fights this, or he only fights that" but hey! I'm not the one who chooses the fights! They say, "There's someone for you to fight" and I'm like "Great, I'll fight him" that's pretty much about it.

FCF: I remember sometimes you flew without knowing who your opponent was...
    WS: Exactly, there's no such thing. But if the promoters want me to fight fighter A or fighter B, it doesn't matter to me, I'll fight them and I'll fight anyone for that matter. They can make a line and I'll fight everybody in the course of time (Laughs)

FCF: I know you for a long time and I can say that as a person, you never changed your attitude and manage to still humble in the way you treat the fans and friends. How do you manage to not let success get into your head?
    WS: I believe a true champion can't lack in any aspect, not in a single aspect of life. Sometimes if you have your emotional side changed, this can affect your whole career. Sometimes you have a great deal of talent but your mindset betrays you and you don't peak. It's way better for someone to be a down to earth guy, and treat everybody well cause this will only attract good things for your life.

FCF: The best of luck your next fight as always Wanderlei!
    WS: Thanks Eduardo.

Thank you for the great interview!

Comment

I feel bad for Silva. He gets up in there with fighters from Japan that have no chance against him just on the freak chance that one of them will K.O him and PRIDE can have a champion from japan again.

I mean, how must it feel knowing the promoter you fight for is throwing you in with these people that aren't even a test for your skills, just on the off chance you will slip and eat a right hand?

Comment

good read, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Allan the Magic Goose
          I feel bad for Silva. He gets up in there with fighters from Japan that have no chance against him just on the freak chance that one of them will K.O him and PRIDE can have a champion from japan again.

I mean, how must it feel knowing the promoter you fight for is throwing you in with these people that aren't even a test for your skills, just on the off chance you will slip and eat a right hand?
          I'm pretty sure he dont mind. Everone loves winning. I have hardly ever read a Silva interview where he doesnt say "I never pick who I fight." because Silva knows he is fighting ****ty people. His first real test in years was at the GP, after that, I know he is capable of beating more "A" class fighters, but Pride doesnt like too challenge him for some reason......

Comment

That is also why I would like to see him move up into HW, Pride has a stacked HW devision and Pride would eventually have to match him up with tougher opponents....

Comment

PRIDE throws these fighters from japan just to hopefuly see them win. They have thier first real chance in years with Kondo. I don't mean for a win, cause that won't happen, but for a legit match-up

Comment

Working...
              X