No announcement yet.

Boxing Supernovas, Sudden Exposure

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Supernovas, Sudden Exposure

The thing about supernova, is they do not burn at their intense peak for long. But while they do they are heralded (especially by countrymen) as one of the greats to ever come along.

Supernova are suddenly exposed, that is a qualification. They do not stay on top for long periods. While they are on top, rabid and dense fans think they are the greatest. Then they take a great fall, and some continue to believe as the supernova begins to lose fairly regularly.

Some supernova make it to the highest ranks of boxing, or nearby, like Tyson and Dempsey. Dempsey was barely taking fights during the latter years of his reign.

Dempsey and Tyson are true standouts among supernova, meaning they indeed stayed long enough and accomplished enough to be regarded quite highly today, they were not mere flashes in the pan.

We are interested in supernova who become champions, so none of them are precisely flashes in the pan. Someone like Berto does not even qualify. He never did burn brightly enough to be considered a supernova, though some dense fans were already beginning to salivate over his modest accomplishments before he was rudely exposed.

It was no secret to me that Berto would be rudely exposed. I have learned to see when these fighters are advancing on mere athletic ability alone.

Popo, Cuevas and Martinez were due in my mind for an abrupt reality check and AT demotion, and they all got it rather punctually. Hearns was an unfair amount of overkill for Cuevas. Duran would have done the job on Cuevas first if Hearns hadn't. The Mexican was a pure puncher but minus flashy athletic ability.

Zab Judah
    Lucian Bute
    Tyrell Biggs
    John Mugabi

To a certain extent Michael Nunn

Comment

I was thinking Bute as well!

Jeff Lacy is another that comes to mind.

Comment

Definitely Michael Nunn.
        When Nunn hit his prime he was incredible, he took Sumbu Kalambay with one punch but most important, he won the title against Frank Tate in one of the best performances in boxing history, Nunn used everything, his footwork looked like a ballet dancer, his jab was a laser, his left hand would made Tate retreat every single time and he shuffled in a way that made the fight look almost poetic.
        Think about Rigo vs Donaire but Nunn actually pulled the trigger when the aggressor put himself in a shell.

Comment

Jermain Taylor
          Fernando Vargas
          Meldrick Taylor

Comment

Some very good examples of supernovas. I think Jeff Lacey is the perfect supernova--huge punch and premature reputation, went overseas and got schooled brutally. When British fighters can school you, there are certainly some monster holes in your game.

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
              Definitely Michael Nunn.
              When Nunn hit his prime he was incredible, he took Sumbu Kalambay with one punch but most important, he won the title against Frank Tate in one of the best performances in boxing history, Nunn used everything, his footwork looked like a ballet dancer, his jab was a laser, his left hand would made Tate retreat every single time and he shuffled in a way that made the fight look almost poetic.
              Think about Rigo vs Donaire but Nunn actually pulled the trigger when the aggressor put himself in a shell.
              So what happened? Was Nunn exposed, did the drug use cause his decline or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                So what happened? Was Nunn exposed, did the drug use cause his decline or something else?
                Nunn stopped training hard and he never left the town, he was hanging around with the same bad people and started losing his focus.
                A past prime Nunn beat Barkley, Starling, Curry and almost beat Toney, I'm confident that a prime Nunn would have been a hall of famer.

Comment

Nassem Hamed. He was a love him or hate him type of fighter. He was charismatic, arrogant and had one punch knockout power. A promoters dream. He looked vulnerable and unbeatable at the same time. He retired shortly after his first loss to Barerra.

Last edited by TonyGe; 04-19-2017, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I think we can add David Reid to the mix. There was a lot of hype about him after his gold medal win in the Olympics. I recall him being touted as the next De La Hoya. A loss to Trinidad took all of the air out of that balloon.

Comment

Working...
                    X