No announcement yet.

Did you threaten to overrule him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you threaten to overrule him?

PAXMAN: [Interrupting] Did you threaten to overrule him ?
    HOWARD: I… I… was not entitled to instruct Derek Lewis, and I did not instruct him.
    HOWARD: The truth of the matter is that Mr Marriot was not suspended. I–
    HOWARD: –did not… overrule Derek Lewis.
    HOWARD: I took advice on what I could or could not do–
    PAXMAN: [Interrupting] Did you threaten to overrule him Mr Howard ?
    HOWARD: –and I acted scrupulously in accordance with that advice, I did not overrule Derek Lewis–
    HOWARD: Mr Marriot was not suspended.
    HOWARD: [pauses]. I have accounted for my decision to dismiss Derek Lewis–
    HOWARD: in great detail, before the House of Commons–
    PAXMAN: [Interrupting] I note that you’re not answering the question of whether you threatened to overrule him.
    HOWARD: Well, the important aspect of this which is very clear to bear in mind–
    PAXMAN: [Interrupting] I’m sorry, I’m going to be frightfully rude, I’m sorry, but it’s a straight yes or no question which requires a straight yes or no answer. Did you threaten to overrule him ?
    HOWARD: I discussed this matter with Derek Lewis. I gave him the benefit of my opinion. I gave him the benefit of my opinion in strong language. But I did not instruct him because I was not entitled to instruct him, I was entitled to express my opinion, and that is what I did.
    PAXMAN: With respect, that is not answering the question of whether you threatened to overrule him.
    HOWARD: It’s dealing with the relevant point, which is what I was entitled to do and what I was not entitled to do, and I have dealt in detail with this before the House of Commons and before the Select Committee.
    PAXMAN: With respect, you haven’t answered the question of whether you threatened to overrule him.
    HOWARD: Well you see– the question is what was I entitled to do and what was I not entitled to do. I was not entitled to instruct him, and I did not do that.
    PAXMAN: Uh... we’ll leave that aspect there.

Originally posted by paul750
    HOWARD: I… I… was not entitled to instruct Derek Lewis, and I did not instruct him.
    HOWARD: The truth of the matter is that Mr Marriot was not suspended. I–
    HOWARD: –did not… overrule Derek Lewis.
    HOWARD: I took advice on what I could or could not do–
    PAXMAN: [Interrupting] Did you threaten to overrule him Mr Howard ?
    HOWARD: –and I acted scrupulously in accordance with that advice, I did not overrule Derek Lewis–
    HOWARD: Mr Marriot was not suspended.
    HOWARD: [pauses]. I have accounted for my decision to dismiss Derek Lewis–
    HOWARD: in great detail, before the House of Commons–
    PAXMAN: [Interrupting] I note that you’re not answering the question of whether you threatened to overrule him.
    HOWARD: Well, the important aspect of this which is very clear to bear in mind–
    PAXMAN: [Interrupting] I’m sorry, I’m going to be frightfully rude, I’m sorry, but it’s a straight yes or no question which requires a straight yes or no answer. Did you threaten to overrule him ?
    HOWARD: I discussed this matter with Derek Lewis. I gave him the benefit of my opinion. I gave him the benefit of my opinion in strong language. But I did not instruct him because I was not entitled to instruct him, I was entitled to express my opinion, and that is what I did.
    PAXMAN: With respect, that is not answering the question of whether you threatened to overrule him.
    HOWARD: It’s dealing with the relevant point, which is what I was entitled to do and what I was not entitled to do, and I have dealt in detail with this before the House of Commons and before the Select Committee.
    PAXMAN: With respect, you haven’t answered the question of whether you threatened to overrule him.
    HOWARD: Well you see– the question is what was I entitled to do and what was I not entitled to do. I was not entitled to instruct him, and I did not do that.
    PAXMAN: Uh... we’ll leave that aspect there.

hahaha and i LIKE howard more than most politicians

widdecombe too

Comment

Originally posted by boxstarr
      hahaha and i LIKE howard more than most politicians

widdecombe too
      I Remember seeing that interview, it was like watching a car crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxclever
        I Remember seeing that interview, it was like watching a car crash.

im too young to have seen it, but heard about it and really made me laugh

Comment

Paxman actually asked him the same question 7 years later, and he STILL couldn't answer it lol. Paxman said to him, well you had 7 years to come up wih an answer. lol

Comment

Originally posted by paul750
            Paxman actually asked him the same question 7 years later, and he STILL couldn't answer it lol. Paxman said to him, well you had 7 years to come up wih an answer. lol

hahaha

i dont even know the context, but i think he threatended to overrule him

Comment

Yep. I also remember this interview. It was fantastic TV. I was doing my A Level Politics at that time.

Comment

i dont know why but jeremy paxman reminds me of an oxo cube

Comment

Originally posted by margebishop
                  i dont know why but jeremy paxman reminds me of an oxo cube

ahhahhahahahha never heard that before

Comment

Working...
                  X