Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone who boxed during their high school year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone who boxed during their high school year?

I'm 16 high school sop****re; and I have a fight this Sunday but I haven't been able to go to the gym often because of studies, despite the fact my fight is near; does anyone have a similar experience that their fight was near but you could not go to the gym because of studies?

While I will get bashed for telling you about my experiences I'm still going to post my reply.

I fought all through high school. Boxing was very important to me and a few too many tiimes I put that first. It's good that you put your studies first, that will pay off in the long run. I used to study on the bus, in different classes while the teacher lectured, at lunch, skip a class here or there and jump into the library to get stuff done. I'd basically fit it in where ever I could. I should mention that I also had a job along with the school and the boxing where I'd work 20-30 hours a week. I don't recommend doing this but I also wouldn't ever recommend stepping into the ring unprepared for a bout, just too many things can happen if you're not properly prepared. You could get ktfo, a busted nose, cracked ribs, etc. You know that boxing is far from a game, it can be dangerous. I applaud you for putting your studies first but I would not recommend stepping into fight if you are not ready..........Rockin'

Comment

i boxed through most of high school, its no diffrent from anyone else. some go to school while others work, hell some do both but you still find a way to train if you really want to. nobody starts out making enough money in boxing to do nothing but train.

if you want to be a good boxer you have to make sacrifices, im not saying your education is one of them but theres always something. hanging out with friends, having girlfriends and partying is what i gave up in order to be able to put work in at the gym. school, boxing, sleep and repeat was my life then i caught up one studying on the weekends.

i skipped my own graduation to go to the gym and preparee for a fight, mom was pissed but i never regreted it. you have to ask yourself what are you willing to give up for boxing? i did and the answer was anything and everything. still is.

Comment

i boxed abput 15 times in HS it was tough because my mother pushed for grades while my dad pushed for the gym. but if your not ready dont do it i had to learn the hard way bro

Comment

I started an amatuer boxing team in 1978 the boys were 11 thru 13 yrs old and I had all the weight classes except heavyweight covered in the J.O national program. As they grew older their weight classes changed and by the time they were in high school they were Open Class USA/ABF boxers.
          Their report cards came to me before they got to their parents, I was a big part of the schools counciling programs and was alligned with the neighboring Youth Divisions in three different police departments.
          The reason I'm telling you how I managed these young men is to show you that routines and schedules are extremely important in the organizing of a active boxers life when school comes first plus the ability to be active in state, regional and national tourny's.
          School in the morning till 3pm for them back then, meet me at 4:30 for road work, then a small meal at their homes and be done by 6:00pm and in the gym by 7pm. Back home by 9pm, and this was every week day/night!
          They all made sacrifices as to some social activities and some school participation also. These young people had goals and went after them very agressively, so set your goals at realistic levels and go after them with everything you have. Never fluff off your school work because school is the foundation for your desicion making for the rest of your lives. Boxing is only a part of your life, your education is forever.
          If your not prepared to box why would you accept the bout? Theres never a reason to disrespect yourself by not being ready to perform at your highest ability. Never bend under pressure from others if you know your not prepared.
          Pass on this show and get ready for the next one, good luck! Ray Corso

Comment

I boxed from middle school onto my H.S years. It can be done it's just like being an athlete in any other sport.

I also played 4 years of H.S football at the same time, that was real tough.

Comment

i guess im not the only one who had or is having difficult times with the equal distribution of boxing annd school. but i already cancelled a fight once, i cant really cancel this one because the gym already sent my approval of participating in the fight to my opponet, this time a cancel is a big no-no. but im not going to be participating in a fight until mid-june. my coach told me,
              "do not be feared. you have a good jab, as long as you use that jab, parray his attacks, spin around him and wait for that opening, you are ok. as long as you can makeit 3 times a week its ok. just make sure you run. if it gets real bad, i'll save you. its 2 min, 3 R, just outbox hin and have fun."

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
                i guess im not the only one who had or is having difficult times with the equal distribution of boxing annd school. but i already cancelled a fight once, i cant really cancel this one because the gym already sent my approval of participating in the fight to my opponet, this time a cancel is a big no-no. but im not going to be participating in a fight until mid-june. my coach told me,
                "do not be feared. you have a good jab, as long as you use that jab, parray his attacks, spin around him and wait for that opening, you are ok. as long as you can makeit 3 times a week its ok. just make sure you run. if it gets real bad, i'll save you. its 2 min, 3 R, just outbox hin and have fun."
                Junes good if you prepare. Never go into a fight thinking that it's just jab and parry, spin him etc. Never go into a fight believing that it's that easy, you know it's not as simple as that. Go in with a game plan but don't be surprised when it's way more than that. Good luck though when June comes around....Rockin'

Comment

thank you very much, rockin, I'll just try my best, if i lose its my fault; i'm just going to stick to my studies until break

Comment

I used to study on the bus, in different classes while the teacher lectured, at lunch, skip a class here or there and jump into the library to get stuff done.
                    Last edited by Florence95; 04-04-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X