No announcement yet.

Joe Frazier Or Michael Spinks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Frazier Or Michael Spinks?

was just thinking, and out of these two who do you think will be remembered as the greater fighter?

i find them hard to split.

Michael Spinks without question.I really don't see it as much of a debate either.Michael Spinks ducked absolutely not fighter his entire career.It didn't matter if a fighter could punch,Spinks was brave and aspired to be great.

Frazier's entire legacy is tainted while Michael Spinks would probably beat any light heavyweight in the history of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
      was just thinking, and out of these two who do you think will be remembered as the greater fighter?

i find them hard to split.
      I'll go with Spinks. He was king of arguably the strongest light heavyweight era while Frazier played second fiddle in arguably the strongest heavyweight era. Top that off with Spinks wins over Holmes and I think he would be the better choice here.

Comment

The fighter who is probably going to be remembered as a better fighter is Frazier whether it be neccesarily true or not. Someone who has ony learned of boxing history through ESPN Classic or some such shallow resource would probably only know him from the Tyson fight.

Comment

Joe Frazier... he and Ali are the `pyramids`of the sport, so he will be remembered as the greater fighter, yet Michael Spinks was a `class-act`who should be remembered for his achievements of twice beating a good Larry Holmes and being the first light-heavyweight to move up and become champion.

Comment

in my opinion and this isnt cut dry even in my mind, i think frazier takes only by grit and determination and a fierce left hook...

Comment

frazier as he was the 3rd best heavyweight in a strong hw era (but not the strongest) , while p4p being the best of his time really.
              spinks was KO'd in one round by tyson , quicker than what an older holmes was destroyed by tyson later. spinks skipped the cw division , which is a brave but stupid thing to do. i think he would have lost to holyfield too , but not easily.
              both p4p and h2h , frazier is the better fighter of the two. frazier destroyed some stiff opposition , and foughta h2h better opposition than spinks did.
              he may have just beaten holmes too , had holmes fought him.

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeyapudpud View Post
                Michael Spinks without question.I really don't see it as much of a debate either.Michael Spinks ducked absolutely not fighter his entire career.It didn't matter if a fighter could punch,Spinks was brave and aspired to be great.

Frazier's entire legacy is tainted while Michael Spinks would probably beat any light heavyweight in the history of the sport.
                who did frazier ever duck ? he fought ali 3 times , decisioning him once , foreman twice , stopped chuvalo , convincingly avenged his amateur loss to buster mathis , stopped many more .

and spinks did duck tony tucker didn't he ?

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
                  who did frazier ever duck ? he fought ali 3 times , decisioning him once , foreman twice , stopped chuvalo , convincingly avenged his amateur loss to buster mathis , stopped many more .

Virtually every ranked puncher of his era.frazier's entire career was carefully guided and his managment avoided any fighter that offered more than just a minor threat that wasn't named Ali.

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post

and spinks did duck tony tucker didn't he ?

Spinks dropped his worthless alphabet title to fight for $4 million against Gerry Cooney
                  Last edited by gimmeyapudpud; 03-02-2010, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Spinks. Fought in one of the best LHW eras ever, came out on top, showing his effectiveness in different styles and then moved up and became the HW champ of the world.

Comment

Working...
                    X