Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Alan Minter never get a rematch with Hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Alan Minter never get a rematch with Hagler?

I realize that his career spiraled soon after the loss to Hagler, but with how competitive the fight had been up to the stoppage on a cut, I would have thought that Minter would have been in line for an early rematch.

My guess is there was a no return clause in the contract! The Champ should have a return if he's defeated but challengers aren't offered that luxury. Ray

Comment

not really worth it tbh. there were plenty of other challengers out there and hagler would knock out minter on his best day.

Comment

Do you think he wanted to go through that again? Even though he lost on cuts, he still suffered a beating. Had he beat Hamsho the next year we would have seen a rematch probably though.

Comment

I doubt Hagler would have given Minter a rematch after the post fight ruckus.

He was a stubborn guy, and held that against Minter for years.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
            Do you think he wanted to go through that again? Even though he lost on cuts, he still suffered a beating. Had he beat Hamsho the next year we would have seen a rematch probably though.
            Hagler was controlling the fight, but Minter had some moments as well. That fight very well could have been a 15 round battle with a close decision.

The Hamsho loss certainly did him in for good, though.

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            I doubt Hagler would have given Minter a rematch after the post fight ruckus.

He was a stubborn guy, and held that against Minter for years.
            That wasn't Minter's fault! The Pacers still play the Pistons in Detroit every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              My guess is there was a no return clause in the contract! The Champ should have a return if he's defeated but challengers aren't offered that luxury. Ray
              Minter was the defending champion.

Comment

I never saw Alan Minter vs. Mustafa Hamsho, but for those that did, was it a robbery or a correctly judged fight?

Comment

I musta missed something because the Minter/Hagler fight I watched wasn't very competitive and certainly not the type of fight that anyone was screaming for a rematch

Comment

scott; .... so what! What difference does it make who the champ is what I stated is true!
                    boxing bob has it dead on the fight was nothing to rematch anyway!! Minter was a decent guy but he was not in the same leaque as Hagler. The guy had no pop at all, he had good enough skills but when you step up you better have some power!!! He didn't! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X