No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker vs. Aaron Pryor @ 140lbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pernell Whitaker vs. Aaron Pryor @ 140lbs

How does it go down between these two fistic monoliths? Who do you have and why?

Poll coming with all options included (even the unlikely ones).
    [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/314t8jo.jpg[/img] By UD
    71.43%
    By SD
    21.43%
    By T/KO
    0.00%
    [img]http://i52.tinypic.com/11giq35.jpg[/img] By UD
    7.14%
    By SD
    0.00%
    By T/KO
    0.00%
    [img]http://i56.tinypic.com/970hzm.gif[/img] Draw
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Nice use of the pictures lol.

I would pick Whitaker by comfortable UD as he is not that far out of his prime at LW.

Comment

Whitaker by decision,just too good all round for Pryor

Comment

Whitaker by semi wide decision, Pryor goes down for a no count once or twice in the fight.

Comment

All you have to do is look at Aaron Pryor's fight with Gary Hinton, who was a slick Southpaw who gave Aaron Pryor alot of problems. And it was quite close points wise aswell as i remember it.

Pernell Whitaker is x2 better than Gary Hinton, and was excellent at dealing with pressure fighters.

But Pernell Whitaker would know he's been in a fight, it would be a hard a nights work over 12 rounds probably 115-113 Pernell Whitaker. With Aaron Pryor's workrate winning closish rounds to make it close.

Comment

Simply put, Whitaker was another class of fighter. Pryor would give him problems of note, but only over the first five or six. The rest would be an increasingly frustrating ride for Pryor, as Whitaker was even more unorthodox, & a much smarter boxer.

Really, someone like Duran is more upto Whitaker's level than a Pryor.

Comment

Pryor's style is all wrong for a defensive master like Whitaker (or Benitez or Mayweather etc. etc.). He telegraphs his punches, you know what's coming. If you're going to try and brawl with him, you have a serious problem. But he wouldn't even come close to hitting Whitaker, I don't think.

Comment

Yeah, but Duran's been done to death.

I love watching both the guys in this matchup (Duran, not as much), and was interested if anyone would envisage and compellingly break down an outcome that wasn't Whitaker by wide UD, so indulge me. Well, you did.

=]

Comment

I think Pryor was less obvious and somewhat more of a creative boxer than people are giving him credit for when he needed to be, but I agree that Whitaker likely wins the fight clearly on the cards.

Which is why I made the thread/poll. I was interested in reading the breakdown of anyone out there who may see Pryor winning, a compelling argument to make me think again.

Two of my All-Time favs to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Desire View Post
                    All you have to do is look at Aaron Pryor's fight with Gary Hinton, who was a slick Southpaw who gave Aaron Pryor alot of problems. And it was quite close points wise aswell as i remember it.

Pernell Whitaker is x2 better than Gary Hinton, and was excellent at dealing with pressure fighters.

But Pernell Whitaker would know he's been in a fight, it would be a hard a nights work over 12 rounds probably 115-113 Pernell Whitaker. With Aaron Pryor's workrate winning closish rounds to make it close.
                    Akio Kameda was a southpaw also.

Comment

Working...
                    X