Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White Hints at a WEC Announcement That Will "Blow Your Mind"

Dana White Hints at a WEC Announcement That Will "Blow Your Mind"
    by Anton Tabuena on Oct 2, 2010 2:47 PM EDT in UFC News

Here's an interesting nugget that you might have missed on Carmichael Dave's pound-for-pound debate with Dana White:

I brought up the fact that Silva had the opportunity to test the 205 division when he had cleared out his 185-pound division, and since Aldo had all but done the same in the 155 division, would he also get an opportunity?

This is where Dana White puts back on his president's hat, if there is such a thing. Known for fantastic quotes, he also knows when to be coy.

"The (expletive) we are going to do in the next year is going to blow your mind," he added. When asked if that meant anything from a WEC/UFC merger to an Edgar/Aldo superfight, he artfully dodged.

"You'll just have to sit back and watch. You have no idea the crazy (expletive) we're working on."

Naturally, the first thing that comes to mind is the possibility of seeing the best 145 and 135 pounders in the UFC. I actually don't know, or care, about how Zuffa would do it - may it be a straight merger or by just adding extra weight classes while keeping the WEC alive - but what I do know is, the best featherweight and bantamweight fighters in world deserve the recognition, exposure, and the money, that their heavier counterparts have been enjoying.

That being said, this hint could mean absolutely anything, so let's just hope that a merger is what Dana is talking about, because as Kid Nate mentioned, it's time...

Props to mmanews.com and bloodyelbow.com

Link:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/10/2...blow-your-mind

Relax guys, it's probably WEC action figures. Dana's mind is easily blown

Comment

could be aldo moving to ufc lightweight...

Comment

Aldo needs to move up very soon. Otherwise he'll be wasting his talent fighting guys who aren't worthy of wiping his sweat.

I say maybe one more fight at 145 then fight Henderson at 155 and eventually Edgar in UFC.

Aldo also wanted to move down and win the title at 135, but I don't know how realistic that will be at this point with all the hype behind Aldo and the public interest in seeing him in the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
          Aldo needs to move up very soon. Otherwise he'll be wasting his talent fighting guys who aren't worthy of wiping his sweat.

I say maybe one more fight at 145 then fight Henderson at 155 and eventually Edgar in UFC.

Aldo also wanted to move down and win the title at 135, but I don't know how realistic that will be at this point with all the hype behind Aldo and the public interest in seeing him in the UFC.
          he fought at 135 for the most part of his career. It wouldn't be a problem for him but he wont move down because NU have fighters there.

and he wont move up anytime soon.

He's only 24 and only defended his belt twice. He'll put up weight naturally. If he moves up today he could beat the champ, ironically, but most of the other fighters would try to lay and pray him.

He's small for a LW.

Comment

Originally posted by PopoFreitas View Post
            he fought at 135 for the most part of his career. It wouldn't be a problem for him but he wont move down because NU have fighters there.

and he wont move up anytime soon.

He's only 24 and only defended his belt twice. He'll put up weight naturally. If he moves up today he could beat the champ, ironically, but most of the other fighters would try to lay and pray him.

He's small for a LW.
            Ironically I see Maynard doing that to Edgar, again.

I think Aldo would do pretty well against guys like Gomi, Florian, Guida and Penn at this point.

Aldo does have pretty good takedown defense, but yeah, I think wrestlers who utilize their size could and would be a problem for Aldo. But he is so dangerous on his feet, who knows?

I would like to see UFC just add a 145 pound division soon and a 135 pound division somewhere down the road. Or just merge with WEC.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
              Ironically I see Maynard doing that to Edgar, again.

I think Aldo would do pretty well against guys like Gomi, Florian, Guida and Penn at this point.

Aldo does have pretty good takedown defense, but yeah, I think wrestlers who utilize their size could and would be a problem for Aldo. But he is so dangerous on his feet, who knows?

I would like to see UFC just add a 145 pound division soon and a 135 pound division somewhere down the road. Or just merge with WEC.
              Zuffa was close to merging the WEC with the UFC sometime last year but they resigned with Versus for some reason.

I think that by the end of 2011 the UFC will have adsorbed the WEC.

Comment

Working...
              X