No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes Place in Boxing History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Holmes Place in Boxing History

I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times. Still, age caught up with Holmes, which was evident when he fought Tyson, but in his prime he would've beat Mike. Ironically, Mike himself admitted that after the fight. The last and most important reason why I think Holmes deserves recognition is how he handled his assets after boxing. He is one of the few guys to retire and not live broke afterwards; a trend I wish more fighters adopted.

Originally posted by grant555

I am curious what people think about Holmes and his boxing legacy. Holmes is one of my favorite fighters not only because of his brilliant left jab, but because he seem to have fought in relative obscurity for years, while defending his title a record 20 times. Still, age caught up with Holmes, which was evident when he fought Tyson, but in his prime he would've beat Mike. Ironically, Mike himself admitted that after the fight. The last and most important reason why I think Holmes deserves recognition is how he handled his assets after boxing. He is one of the few guys to retire and not live broke afterwards; a trend I wish more fighters adopted.
    Definately...

I think Holmes would be the mean to defeat Mike Tyson...

Comment

Holmes is a top ten all time. He's got maybe the second or third longest reign, almost broke Rocky's record ... he's an all timer for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolin Bushido
        Holmes is a top ten all time. He's got maybe the second or third longest reign, almost broke Rocky's record ... he's an all timer for sure.
        Very true...

I don't rate him on his record or nothin...

but on his skill...

He was one of the most talented heavyweights of all time...

Comment

No doubt a great fighter, underrated by some. Definitely in the top-ten of the all-time heavyweights. Extremely talented fighter, who just had the misfortune to become champion right after Ali retired.

Comment

i have holmes around 6th on my all time list. Theres no doubt hes a great but like lennix lewis i think did not get the credit he deserved until much later on

Comment

Larry Holmes had many things in his corner to make him a great champion.

He had great size, quick hands, an incredibly long reach and was very crafty in the ring and not to mention excellent power.

Larry cut his teeth sparring with the greatest heavyweights of all time.

There are two things that he needed to become one of the very few "elite" fighters, and that would be quality opponents. The heavyweight division during his tenure lacked any kind of lustre.

Had there been other great heavys during his prime like a Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, Larry could have become a defining fighter.

However, his lack of charisma and beating up Ali ruined his chance at becoming a "people's champion".

Larry's skills and physical ability were on par with any heavyweight in history, but history has shown that the true great champions were beloved by their fans.

Larry was not a beloved champion.

Sad but true.

In terms of skill, I rank him top 5

In terms of being a master entertainer, he wouldn't crack the top 20.

Comment

unfortunetly if he had not taken the ali fight evry1 wuda said oh u were scared etc
                and if he had charisma people wuda gone oh ur ttrying to b like ali he cudnt win... also after the spinks fight saying rocky m cudnt carry his jockstrap was not clecver

Comment

Originally posted by BAREKNUCKLES
                  Larry Holmes had many things in his corner to make him a great champion.

He had great size, quick hands, an incredibly long reach and was very crafty in the ring and not to mention excellent power.

Larry cut his teeth sparring with the greatest heavyweights of all time.

There are two things that he needed to become one of the very few "elite" fighters, and that would be quality opponents. The heavyweight division during his tenure lacked any kind of lustre.

Had there been other great heavys during his prime like a Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield, Larry could have become a defining fighter.

However, his lack of charisma and beating up Ali ruined his chance at becoming a "people's champion".

Larry's skills and physical ability were on par with any heavyweight in history, but history has shown that the true great champions were beloved by their fans.

Larry was not a beloved champion.

Sad but true.

In terms of skill, I rank him top 5

In terms of being a master entertainer, he wouldn't crack the top 20.

Not only did he knock out Ali that made the people hate him...but he knocked out "The Great White Hope" Gerry Cooney who the country had nothin but love for...

Comment

The all time best jab I have ever seen in the ring, and you know what they say, "everything works off the jab". I would match him up in his prime with any other fighter in their prime.

Comment

Working...
                    X