No announcement yet.

Tommy Morrison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Morrison

I was watching some Morrison fights today and I remember when he was supposed to be like a white version of Mike Tyson. So after watching them I do remember him having great power, but also a glass jaw. How far do you think he would have went if not for the whole HIV thing?

Originally posted by mehoe View Post
    I was watching some Morrison fights today and I remember when he was supposed to be like a white version of Mike Tyson. So after watching them I do remember him having great power, but also a glass jaw. How far do you think he would have went if not for the whole HIV thing?
    He would have beat some top contenders and lost to others, but he was never going to hold a major title in that era. If he had defense and a chin he could have been special....with all his power and flaws though he was extremely fan friendly.

Comment

Good fighter. But honestly, he probably had peaked before he was diagnosed with HIV. He was never the sort of fighter who would have beaten the likes of Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson and obviously Lewis.

His best performance was probably the win over Foreman. It showed real discipline for him to box and move rather than get involved, which was his usual game.

Excellent left hook, but yes....not the most solid chin.

Comment

In 1996 after the loss to Lennox Lewis, but he just Ko'ed Marcus Rhode.
        Before that he just Ko'ed Razor Ruddick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Good fighter. But honestly, he probably had peaked before he was diagnosed with HIV. He was never the sort of fighter who would have beaten the likes of Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson and obviously Lewis.

His best performance was probably the win over Foreman. It showed real discipline for him to box and move rather than get involved, which was his usual game.

Excellent left hook, but yes....not the most solid chin.

Oh, and I seem to remember his HIV diagnosis being not too long after the Lewis fight.

Comment

have you seen his stoppage losses?

he's very clearly got a less than solid chin. his lights go out very quickly and he doesn't recover. he's also got poor survival instincts and skills.
            Last edited by JAB5239; 06-28-2012, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Morrison was a very exciting fighter. You always knew something was going to happen even if you didn't know who it was going to happen to. Watching him meant you were going to be on the edge of your seat waiting for someone to get ko'd. I remember I had a friend over that never watched boxing and Morrison's bout against Joe Hipp was coming on. I told my friend that it was going to be a good fight and by the end of the fight my friend was standing up yelling at the tv. Turned him into an instant boxing fan!
              For those of us that watched Morrison's rollercoaster of a career from the begining til the end definitely have to appreciate the ride!

Comment

Shame what's happend to the dude. You see him now and can barely recognise him.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                  Shame what's happend to the dude. You see him now and can barely recognise him.
                  ^ Very true he looks nothing like old Tommy "Gunn". Plus I believe he might be a little "not all there" given the fact he has lesions and not taking meds for his condition.

Comment

Morrison had great offensive abilities- massive power, put nice combos together with decent speed.

His biggest problem was that he was overly tight and tense, which I believe were the real culprits with his chin and stamina.

Comment

Working...
                    X