No announcement yet.

Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thompson set for UFC on Fox 7

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thompson set for UFC on Fox 7

Seven years after he left, Josh Thomson (19-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is returning to the octagon.

UFC officials today announced the ex-Strikeforce lightweight champ will fight Nate Diaz (16-8 MMA, 7-6 UFC) at UFC on FOX 7, which takes place April 20 at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

It's not yet known whether the bout will be broadcast on the event's FOX-televised main card or on the preliminary-card, which serves on FX and Facebook.

The venue, however, is a familiar place for Thomson, whose post-UFC residency with Strikeforce netted him his first world title. He later ceded it to current champ Gilbert Melendez.

This past May, Thomson failed to reclaim the belt in a razor-close fight with Melendez, who was booed at the announcement of a split call in his favor.

Nicknamed "The Punk," Thomson ended his Strikeforce tenure with a 10-4 record. He went 2-1 in his first stint with the UFC, which ended in 2004 with a highlight-reel knockout loss against Yves Edwards.

Diaz most recently vied for UFC gold when he took on champ Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 5. Dominated over five rounds, he lost a unanimous decision, which snapped a three-fight win streak he built following an unsuccessful stint at welterweight.

Diaz's longtime teammate, Melendez, is now set to challenge Henderson for the title in UFC on FOX 7's main event.
    MMAjunkie.com

Comment

Weak. Nate is above this. Nurmagedov is calling him out and he goes with Thompson instead? Eh, if he needs a tune-up then fine. But, I expected more.
      Last edited by Redd Foxx; 01-29-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Weak. Nate is above this. Nurmagedov is calling him out and he goes with Thompson instead? Eh, if he needs a tune-up then fine. But, I expected more.
        Thompson is Better and more PROVEN then Nurmagedov

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          Lol, how is Thomson a weak opponent? He gave Melendez a really tough fight and most people in MMA believe that Melendez is clearly better than Nate Diaz. Honestly Nate Diaz is a good fighter but there are other fighters at 155 that are just better. Frankie Edgar, Ben Hendo, Melendez, Pettis and Maynard IMO.

Comment

Tough fight for both guys, Thompson is good. He gave Melendez all he could handle and in honesty the fight could of gone either way.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
              Lol, how is Thomson a weak opponent? He gave Melendez a really tough fight and most people in MMA believe that Melendez is clearly better than Nate Diaz. Honestly Nate Diaz is a good fighter but there are other fighters at 155 that are just better. Frankie Edgar, Ben Hendo, Melendez, Pettis and Maynard IMO.
              That's the problem, Melendez is hugely overrated, so Thompson losing to him repeatedly doesn't make Thompson a great fighter. This is a time-waster for Diaz as fighting Thompson does not get you back into contention.
              BTW: Diaz and Maynard are 1-1, so I wouldn't say Gray is necessarily "better". I certainly wouldn't say Pettis or Melendez are. I'm not a Nate Diaz fan by any means but people are acting as if the SF lightweight scene was like the WEC's.

Comment

I don't think you can beat guys like aoki, tawajiri, clay guida(who nate lost too), and ishida makes you overrated. They are as tough competition gets outside the UFc.

Thompson is probably the only other guy besides Melendez who will shine in the UFC. This is a sick ass fight which is definitely winnable for Thompson he could definitely do what condit did to his brother nick.

Comment

Not sure if I seen Thompson fight but Nate Diaz is a bum... As a matter of fact, both Diaz's are bums. -.-

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

You're welcome to come let them know....

230 S School St
                    Lodi, CA 95240

Comment

Working...
                    X