No announcement yet.

Is MMA dying?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MMA dying?

Was it just a fade like K1 and kickboxing? Because I haven't heared many positive comments on the last UFC card.

the last ufc card was crap. before that we've seen a lot of good ones.

Is boxing a fad because B-hop vs Dawson didnt deliver?
    I don't get your point really.

MMA is doing very well, and ufc especially. I think they can't expect to grow in such rapid rate going forward tho. The fox deal is quite significant tho.

Comment

Yeah but do you guys really think it will grow? I recently joined sherdog and I had the feeling 80 % of the posters there were geeks, guys who are too old to watch dragon ball z so instead they watch UFC.

I have a feeling UFC is just a fade. Boxing 5 years ago was in a terrible shape but recently has bounced back IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat.G View Post
        Yeah but do you guys really think it will grow? I recently joined sherdog and I had the feeling 80 % of the posters there were geeks, guys who are too old to watch dragon ball z so instead they watch UFC.

I have a feeling UFC is just a fade. Boxing 5 years ago was in a terrible shape but recently has bounced back IMO.
        geeks are kind of a large population even if that is true.

it's most likely not a fad. It's been going strong for a few decades now, with an even deeper history than that. I don't agree with it "beating boxing" as i feel boxing is a larger sport worldwide by quite a margin. But MMA is without a doubt a mainstream sport now with ppv-numbers to back it up and a really good multi-year deal with FOX.

Comment

poster harry balls..

UFC stop being cool less then a couple years ago..

it will ALWAYS have a core audience..but i GUARANTEE it has gone as far as it ever will.

they had CHANCE AFTER CHANCE year after year to show what there about and the entire world knows who they are but their only reacting so much..

even if theyre averaging a pathetic 200,000 buys you'll still see those stupid "were so close to mainstream" threads all over sherdog..trust me.

without vince mcmahons superstar i dont know what UFC is gonna do to attract new fans.. fans rather have a freak like Kimbo because casuals have reacted SO MUCH MORE positively towards him while knowing FULL WELL that UFC exists and they went right past it..

UFC aint goin anywhere but i dont know about that fantasy dream of mainstream acceptance,

that ship had sailed when brock lesnar decided to take dancing lessons
          Last edited by iLovesoccermoms; 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I think it has peeked and is on the down slope. I remember in 2009 during 100 a few of my buddies were all about ufc thought it was so amazing. They really do not watch or keep up with it now. Its not going away I just think it is going downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by iLovesoccermoms View Post
              UFC stop being cool less then a couple years ago..
              I think it stopped being cool around the time Chuck got dethroned. It's mostly TUF 1 that drew a massive influx of new fans and that was about 6 years ago i think.

it will ALWAYS have a core audience..but i GUARANTEE it has gone as far as it ever will.
              Pretty sick core audience to get monthly 200+K ppv's with peaks of 1-1.4 for the largest event.

they had CHANCE AFTER CHANCE year after year to show what there about and the entire world knows who they are but their only reacting so much..
              Yet they get signed with FOX on a multiyear deal worth over 100 million per year just some months ago?

Why isn't this happening to boxing? God knows they're trying.

even if theyre averaging a pathetic 200,000 buys you'll still see those stupid "were so close to mainstream" threads all over sherdog..trust me.
              It is mainstream. Getting 200k for the worst cards when you put out 2+ PPV's a month is really good.
              Their big sellers get close to a million buys with that outlier that gets 1.3-1.4

Boxing is the same way. Most boxing ppv's get x to 200k ppvs.
              The stars get 400-700k (your cottos, marquez's etc).
              Only Floyd and Pac get more than that. Same with UFC.

without vince mcmahons superstar i dont know what UFC is gonna do to attract new fans.. fans rather have a freak like Kimbo because casuals have reacted SO MUCH MORE positively towards him while knowing FULL WELL that UFC exists and they went right past it..
              No idea what this even means. Clarify please.

UFC aint goin anywhere but i dont know about that fantasy dream of mainstream acceptance,

that ship had sailed when brock lesnar decided to take dancing lessons
              Look at ESPN. Look at FOX. Look at the PPV'numbers. "UFC" is mainstream already. It's not as big as football or basketball, but it's still quite a factor. It could reach boxings popularity with more exposure like they will get on FOX.

GSP is ufc's biggest star. Always was. Brock Lesnar included.

Comment

I agree they have some strong points but come on man that stuff does not get any coverage on ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGEBOXINGFAN View Post
                  I agree they have some strong points but come on man that stuff does not get any coverage on ESPN.
                  it does quite frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
                    it does quite frequently.
                    Not true. They cover 10 more sports in depth than mma.

Comment

Working...
                    X