No announcement yet.

Any DJ's in the lounge?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any DJ's in the lounge?

I've always had a mild interest in DJing but never tried to pursue it for various reasons, mainly simply not having the time and money to invest on the equipment and learning the craft.

But lately for the past several months I can't shake the interest I have in DJing, not even as a profession, just as a hobby. We have a lot of house partys/gatherings and I've noticed (not to sound like I'm bragging) but I be getting the people moving/hyped when I pick tracks on my playlists and I love that.

I'm pretty confident I would be a decent DJ or if nothing else I'd play the tracks people want to hear at least, I can feel the mood/energy of a group quite easily. I will be investing in a controller set up real soon.

So for any DJ's in the lounge, I would greatly appreciate advice/tips/pointers. What equipment would be good for beginners? I already know your track selection is the most important thing which I am confident in that department for the most part, it's all the technical bells and whistles and polish that intimidate me. Using the headphones to hear the music speed and adjusting tracks to sync, etc. Very intimidating.

I've done it, not as a main focus, but mostly because I'm an audio engineer so people ask me to DJ parties, or there were times when I integrated samples, manual crossfades, etc into music I was producing.
    If it's music that's caught your interest, getting a guitar (I recommend a classical/spanish) is 10x more satisfying, doesn't require an audience, in the end, and gets people's respect more.

But, DJing requires less commitment. It's easier to sound like you know what you're doing. I HIGHLY recommend getting an idea of what gear you want and checking Craigslist. Used DJ equipment is really common and goes dirt cheap so you don't have to invest a lot to start. Everyone has their own style so watch some videos to get to know what features are going to be important to you.
    Spinning vinyl is the pinnacle of DJing, IMO, but is really expensive if you want to do it right so start digital, start cheap, and work your way up based on your comfort level. Don't feel you need to go overkill with your PA either. Otherwise, it becomes a big hassle that's hard to move and doesn't sound good unless you push it to the point of being "too loud".

Comment

yeah yeah boy!

Dj PushPlay in da house!!!

Back in da days I had one of these

and bunch of these

and the rest is history

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        I've done it, not as a main focus, but mostly because I'm an audio engineer so people ask me to DJ parties, or there were times when I integrated samples, manual crossfades, etc into music I was producing.
        If it's music that's caught your interest, getting a guitar (I recommend a classical/spanish) is 10x more satisfying, doesn't require an audience, in the end, and gets people's respect more.

But, DJing requires less commitment. It's easier to sound like you know what you're doing. I HIGHLY recommend getting an idea of what gear you want and checking Craigslist. Used DJ equipment is really common and goes dirt cheap so you don't have to invest a lot to start. Everyone has their own style so watch some videos to get to know what features are going to be important to you.
        Spinning vinyl is the pinnacle of DJing, IMO, but is really expensive if you want to do it right so start digital, start cheap, and work your way up based on your comfort level. Don't feel you need to go overkill with your PA either. Otherwise, it becomes a big hassle that's hard to move and doesn't sound good unless you push it to the point of being "too loud".
        thanks a lot!

Yeah i plan to get a real cheap setup to start, i have been seeing a lot of controller set ups ranging from 99$ to 3000$

like I said I don't plan to make this a career or anything, won't be quitting my day job lol but hey if I can make some side money playing at bday parties/house parties hell why not.

I used to play guitar too by the way, haven't played in a hot minute tho i do plan to buy a guitar again too, music is life

Comment

Originally posted by -jose- View Post
          yeah yeah boy!

Dj PushPlay in da house!!!

Back in da days I had one of these

and bunch of these

and the rest is history
          ayyeee DJ PushPlay

you got a yt channel? I'd like to hear you mix it up

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
            ayyeee DJ PushPlay

you got a yt channel? I'd like to hear you mix it up
            there was no yt in my days...just cassette radios, tapes, VCR,'s, beepers and Yo MTV Raps! Boyyyy!

Comment

You tryin to get herpes at Coachella OP?

Comment

i dj'd professionally
                get 2 pioneer cdj-1000 mk2 cd players, they scratch good too, should be good enough to start, see if you can get a good deal second hand
                pioneer djm-600 mixer, try second hand if you can find one good quality, test the crossfader make sure it's still goes smooth
                Macbook and get serato scratch, that was top of the line when i was still playing clubs, that's maybe 8 years ago so now it will be perfect to start, and probally cheap, maybe check on youtube if they still use serrate now, back then everybody used serato

Comment

Working...
                X