Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any boxer won Olympic gold...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could have been knocked out and still managed the gold in London.

Anyway though...it remains to be seen (even if its highly unlikely/impossible looking) that he'll be as good as the mentioned fighters. It is impressive though...if you didn't watch the olympics. >__>

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
      He could have been knocked out and still managed the gold in London.
      Quote of the day for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        All these guys are among the greatest heavyweights of all time. All three were much feared punchers. It doesn't take much imagination to envision these monsters devouring the average amateur, even with limited skills.
        Also they fought with 8 Oz gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
          Also they fought with 8 Oz gloves.
          Goodness. I wasn't even thinking of that.

I read something a few years ago in Peter Heller's book "In This Corner...!" It was an interview with a guy that held a fringe belt back in the early part of the twentieth century. (He had actually sparred with Jack Johnson, just to give you an idea.) The old-timer scoffed at how big were the gloves used "today" (the book was written in the early seventies). He told of how he used to wrap his hands with electrical tape, back in the day. lol

The gloves used now aren't only larger, but they're designed much better. Ever take a good look at those gloves you see the classic boxers wearing in the old photographs? Those things were unevenly stuffed with horsehair and cotton. I'm sure every now and then knuckles made contact with the opponent's bones. Modern fighters might be better in some ways, but I doubt they're tougher than their predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            Goodness. I wasn't even thinking of that.

I read something a few years ago in Peter Heller's book "In This Corner...!" It was an interview with a guy that held a fringe belt back in the early part of the twentieth century. (He had actually sparred with Jack Johnson, just to give you an idea.) The old-timer scoffed at how big were the gloves used "today" (the book was written in the early seventies). He told of how he used to wrap his hands with electrical tape, back in the day. lol

The gloves used now aren't only larger, but they're designed much better. Ever take a good look at those gloves you see the classic boxers wearing in the old photographs? Those things were unevenly stuffed with horsehair and cotton. I'm sure every now and then knuckles made contact with the opponent's bones. Modern fighters might be better in some ways, but I doubt they're tougher than their predecessors.
            Yeah but I meant Frazier, Foreman and Liston, etc. fought with 8 0z gloves in the amateurs, that's what's crazy.

No need to look at old photographs, there are old school boxing gloves from the 30's and 40's at my gym. Shit is like rock hard dried leather, a jab with these would fuck you up.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
              Didn't Wilder only have a few fights too?

He won a bronze not gold..

Comment

As far as I am concerned he shouldn't of even received a medal.

He got two disgraceful gifts from the judges, arguably three.
                Go back and watch his fight with Dychko & you tell me Dychko wasn't much further ahead than the judges had it going into the third.

Savon toyed with the overgrown dope, Camarelle smashed him to bits and I honestly believe Dychko edged it out too.

I can't wait to see this poor mans Audrey Harrison get laid the fcuk out in the pros. All I see is a plodding, dopey, juiced up, chinny arm-puncher who has barely won a single round in his entire fcuking life without some horrific scoring in favour of this British cashcow. Second coming of Lennox Lewis, whoever said that needs a bullet between their eyes.

He got a load of gifts prior to this tournament as well disgusting!

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post

Go back and watch his fight with Dychko & you tell me Dychko wasn't much further ahead than the judges had it going into the third.

Savon toyed with the overgrown dope, Camarelle smashed him to bits and I honestly believe Dychko edged it out too.

I can't wait to see this poor mans Audrey Harrison get laid the fcuk out in the pros. All I see is a plodding, dopey, juiced up, chinny arm-puncher who has barely won a single round in his entire fcuking life without some horrific scoring in favour of this British cashcow. Second coming of Lennox Lewis, whoever said that needs a bullet between their eyes.

Dan, you get so charged up!

I especially like the bold. lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    Yeah but I meant Frazier, Foreman and Liston, etc. fought with 8 0z gloves in the amateurs, that's what's crazy.

No need to look at old photographs, there are old school boxing gloves from the 30's and 40's at my gym. Shit is like rock hard dried leather, a jab with these would fuck you up.
                    Ahahahahaha! Once again, you've thrown me for a loop! I didn't know that! If that's so, with no headgear to boot, those guys must've been murdering lesser-mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post

Hahaha! Had me rolling!

Comment

Working...
                      X